Friday, July 28, 2017

Hey

It's been awhile since I have just talked here. And I think that's been the problem. At some point, this stopped being a blog and became more of just a place where I dumped a bunch of things into. I stopped interacting with other bloggers, and I stopped blogging for the joy of it. There's so much that goes into it now, and people are so concerned about keeping up appearances or "having something to say".

Some days, I think we would be better off with internet 1.0 or 1.5 - the days of Xanga and Livejournal and MySpace journal posts. At least then we shared without the concern of sponsorship or being trendy.

Blogging can go one of two ways: (1) you're either just talking to your readers and discussing your life, as I am now, or (2) you're living up to an aesthetic, or brand, and using it as a portfolio or showcase of your life.

I'm not saying that I was too interested in making this place a portfolio, but I do believe that, over time, it's easy to lose sight of what this place is, and more importantly why it's still here.

I contemplated almost deleting this blog recently, but it struck me this evening that that wouldn't be the best way to go; in fact, I'd most likely regret that decision. What I need to do is get back to the root of blogging - just blogging.

I miss just talking to you all, sometimes about nothing in particular. I miss having a community to talk to. And I miss enjoying blogging. I've been doing it for years, y'all. I remember being 11 and 12-years old, lying about my age so that I could create a Xanga account, and blogging all of the time. I remember following my friends' blogs, I remember meeting new online friends... (Hey Jamilah, if somehow you've found me! I miss you, gurl. Is your wall still covered in J-14 pull-out posters of the Backstreet Boys, Hilary Duff and Justin Timberlake?)

I miss having a space that is my own.

I believe that a blog should be like that feeling when you come home from a long day at work or school, and you get to collapse on your bed for the first time since that morning. It should be cozy and welcoming, and hopefully have people you love.

I guess I say that to say that this is my homecoming. Hello again. I'm sorry it's taken me this long.

1 comment:

  1. I am returning to the root of blogging too. It's all about finding a balance, and I think more people are leaning toward the old way of just sharing life and feeling like you're catching up with old friends.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous allowed! Comments are moderated, but please don't be shy. :) HTML allowed.