Sunday, January 22, 2017

✊🏻🐱💦💕

Today I went to a brunch with the ladies I work with, and we all sat around talking about anything and everything: how ridiculous our bosses are, how tiring the past week was, TV shows we're in love with, podcasts about murder, the inauguration and we ended on the Women's March on Washington.

I do believe that it's important not to live inside a bubble - to expose yourself and debate - but it's so nice to get 9 women, from the ages of 24 to 35, together and have like-minded conversation and togetherness on a week where it's needed most.

I have never been more uplifted by a group of women in my life. Those women are amazing, all of my friends who marched in DC are amazing (or elsewhere if they were able to in a nearer city/town), and even just reflecting on everything that Michelle Obama has given me.

(But let's be real, she's given women of color so much more, and I'm so happy to see my friends of color benefit from that example and presence.)

I was going to do a post that's overdue about what books I'm reading, but I couldn't not talk about this. I was at work on Saturday, so I didn't march, but I wore red lipstick and a shirt of  😻 made out of a skull. I was living in as much solidarity as I could. And I really really want to set all other obligation aside and march next time it happens. 

I told you all that I've been posting weekly inspirational reflections on my Instagram. You'll find that below:



------------------------------------------

Week 3. #2017positivity

I’ve wanted to actually sit down and pre-write this week’s positive note several times. Make it something existential, something sound, something profound. I never gave myself that chance, and now I’m wishing I had. There is so much I could say about this week that I worry this post might end up all over the place.

To mitigate that, I’m going to do a list of things I have thought about today. Perhaps some other day or night I’ll expound on them all. (But I should be asleep right now - work tomorrow.)
  1. I watched pieces of the Inauguration day of events, but I unintentionally missed the actual swearing in. I can’t remember if I wasn’t awake then or if I was too groggy. I saw things like the luncheon and setting up for the parade. I saw the protests, and the marginal riots. I was pleased that the police reports were so fair despite the attacks being thrown at them, and I only saw one headline that generalized the protests as all rioters. First time I can recall that happening in awhile. I am zen. I am not happy, but I am zen. But that doesn’t mean I will be silent or let my words never take action.
  2. I have my biannual performance review coming up at work. I took at peak at the one from 6 months ago. I checked what I thought my goals would be, or what I wanted. I was happy to see that I was there or way beyond it. I went for things and did things that gave me a sense of wholeness professionally. That doesn’t mean it was without its stress or frustrations, but like my political zen, I have a professional peace with things. I’m taking it day-by-day, finding experience in unlikely spaces, and constantly learning from my mistakes. And it feels good. But also, hook a sister up with some more writing and editing gigs. I’m in the ZONE.
  3. I have more friends than I thought who made it to DC in order to march tomorrow (Saturday) in the Women’s March. And I’m so jealous I’m not there, matching with them, among friends and empowering types. But it makes me that more fired up to do it next time. Plus I’ve never been to DC, sooooo…
  4. I don’t know if I said it here, but despite the actual occasional crap food (like a few times a month), I am now pescetarian-ish. I decided to cut out junk food and meat from my diet, not because of some moralistic dillema, but because I was feeling exhausted and horrible. I also got back into running.
  5. I love my friends and family, and despite being very introverted and closed off sometimes, I hope they know how much I love them. 
  6. I feel more secure in who I am, where I’ve been and where I’m going than I ever have.
  7. I realized today that as an actual adult, Obama was my first president. I am very sad to not see the family werking every day, but I know they’ll never truly stop. I hope that if you’re sad to be losing Michelle and Barack that you remember that we couldn’t have been more lucky, than to grow up in a time with them. With an administration building towards a future for us, rather than for a generation that will be gone long before us. They did their best in tough times and always set themselves higher, as an example. I can’t say “thank you” enough to them.
  8. This is my last one: I love you. If I haven’t truly said it… I. Fucking. Love. You. To my friends of color, minorities abound, I love you so damn much. All I want is to be there for you. And I hope you can feel that when we talk. And I hope you’ll always hold me accountable. I want to be your ally and your family. 💕

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anonymous allowed! Comments are moderated, but please don't be shy. :) HTML allowed.