Saturday, November 19, 2016

Healthy Living: What I Ate In A Week



I am terrible at updating this tag, but I thought I would update you all, now that our week is coming to a close, and give you an update on my diet and activity. So let me know if you like this styled post. I love these kinds of videos when I see them on YouTube.

This week my activity level was low. Not proud of that. Most of it is just pure laziness, but also the time change has really screwed up my groove. I need to get up and get over it.

My diet has taken on a new formation, however.

Before I begin, I should say that I am not a vegetarian. I do not pretend to be. But I did go meat-less in my diet. That's part of the reason why I thought that this might be most interesting to you all. I did my best to capture everything I ate (save for random snacks like chips or a little Babybel wedge) to show what it looks like - for me - to cut meat out of my diet.

Overall I wasn't feeling that great from the food choices I was making before the change, so I wanted to retrain my body to crave the better stuff and cut out the bad. The only slight downside to this was I was running low on actual produce so I had to get pretty creative at some points or look to places at/around work to fill in the meals I couldn't.

Let's go:


Two pizzas I made with Savannah. One with feta, mozzarella, pesto, sun-dried tomatoes, artichoke hearts and wheat crust; one with goat cheese, mozzarella, tomatoes, zucchini, red onions. Half with pizza sauce, half with tapenade. 


Twice baked butternut squash (cut into segments to pack easily into lunches) with dill. Typically I'd go for something sweet, but I really wanted to try out some savory-ness. 


A delicious salad from Mod Pizza: spinach, arugula, pesto, tomatoes, croutons, mozzarella, mushrooms, sun-dried tomatoes, garbanzo beans, and some other stuff I can't remember right now. (I'll get better at this in the future, if you want more posts like this, I swear.) Anyway, if you haven't had a Mod Pizza salad, you really need to do it.


An experimental quinoa-based "meat" ball. It's zucchini, garbanzo beans, quinoa, bread crumbs, a little butter, bbq sauce, and some seasonings like cumin, basil and chopped onions. The butter, bbq sauce and bread crumbs helped hold the quinoa together. But in order for it to hold is spherical form as leftovers, a toaster oven is needed. 


Y'all, I was actually surprised. Tripp wanted Panda Express the other night for dinner, and I pulled up their menu - thinking I'd have to just order mixed veggies and rice - but they had a tofu and eggplant option. I've actually come to really love both - which was something I realized before making this change - so I ordered that with mixed veggies and friend rice. Their veggie option was actually just as good as any tofu & eggplant options I've had at other restaurants (probably because I got a fresh batch). This either speaks boldly to how just bad the others are, or Panda Express can be pretty boss once in a while.

And that's what I ate in a week, Sunday to Saturday! The only few meals I forgot to capture were the yummy mushroom bisque I got from the soups place at work, the almond butter and apple butter sandwich I made before work the other day, and the Arby's salad that I picked the chicken out of for lunch today coming into work.

The pizzas and butternut squash were divided into leftover meals, so if you're wondering why there are only a few meals listed here, that's why. Trust me... I ate.

We finally go grocery shopping (and we're stocking up to avoid the holiday fuss), so I plan on doing some hardcore shopping, much of which will include getting healthy fats and taking care to watch my macros with the meals I do make.

I hope you enjoyed this post. If you have tips for going meat-less, let me know. I may incorporate a lot of this permanently in my diet - with the occasional swapping out of meats. I'm sure my cholesterol will thank me, anyway.

----------------------------------------------------------

If you are struggling from malnutrition or an eating disorder, I recommend doing extensive research before changing your diet drastically. Going meat-less, vegetarian or vegan does not mean you can just eat vegan mac-n-cheese 7 times a week. When you remove meats from your diet - or anything - you have to make sure that the beneficial nutrients that used to be there are replaced with something that provides the same. Make sure you know how much protein, iron, calcium, potassium and sodium is in your new diet. If all else fails, consult a dietitian. And if you struggle with an eating disorder and find these posts to be hard to read, I do apologize. I want to continue to occasionally do these kinds of posts in the future, so I recommend keeping an eye on the title and avoiding those posts if food is a triggering psychological thing for you. Please take care of yourself. Much love. 

4 comments:

  1. The quinoa 'meatballs' look really interesting! I'm also trying to eat less meat, mostly because meat can be expensive. It's getting cold here, and we have an allotment that never stops producing, so I'm cooking a lot of stews with a ton of mixed vegetables and pulses and lentils (served with suet dumplings so uh... not quite so healthy). Also plenty of vegetable and lentil soups/broths. Warming, hearty food! Good luck going meat-less!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm on week two now and so far I'm feeling good. Just gotta know what's best to put in my body, y'know? :)

      Delete
  2. WOW! You're lucky aint ya! Some 5 star restaurant menu right there!! Enjoy the rest of your Sunday, Kisses from London! Dominica.
    www.its-dominica.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous allowed! Comments are moderated, but please don't be shy. :) HTML allowed.