Friday, October 7, 2016

Celebrity

I wonder about celebrity. That feeling of popularity, sinking into loneliness. Where you're always surrounded, but loved for shallow reasons. All the voices of admiration and affirmation drown out into white noise and you rarely hear them anymore - they can't comfort you the way the voices think they might. Every word you say is scrutinized and pulled out of context in a way that rarely happens in ordinary life. And then it's publicized.

Recently, I've seen some celebrities, who I enjoy as people, getting upset at their level of celebrity and wanting to just desperately take a break and do something real - something that matters. I can't say that I blame them. There is so much work that can be done when you have a loud enough voice, that spending it on the fragility of celebrity - a lush lifestyle - when you could help others seems silly. But it's not so easy to pull away when it isn't always your choice, either. You sign contracts, you have management, you are a brand. I don't know... I feel like that lifestyle is much harder than people outside of it give it credit for. Audiences expect these celebrities to serve them, rather than to create, and they aren't too keen on the service ending before they are ready.



Imagine being in that position? I feel like fall is the time to reexamine these things. Maybe I'm the only one who feels that way, but at any rate, it's worth giving celebrities a break from that life. Not that anyone will listen to me. 

1 comment:

  1. That lonely street is looking nice, although those trees and red leaves are making this scenario more beautiful. Good to see the active approach by road police to aware people about road development progressing ahead.
    http://www.asiastarz.com/

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous allowed! Comments are moderated, but please don't be shy. :) HTML allowed.