Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Monthly Reads 2016: August

This is a new monthly series, "Monthly Reads," in which I share what I'm reading and what I think so far.

Hey everyone! How is your August shaping out? It's almost over, I still can't believe it. But that means that we're just that much closer to fall, so that makes me happy. I figured I'd take some time each month to share what I'm reading. You can also follow my progress on Goodreads and interact with me there.


  1. Bright Dead Things - This is a poetry collection by Ada Limon. I have been working on this collection most of the year - the main reason I'm still reading it is because I take a long time with collections. I like to absorb the content just one or two poems at a time. I have been margin writing, as I do, and have found a pretty distinctive pattern with each part. The first section had a very clear pattern of finding growth, strength and security in a new place. It felt very familiar in some parts, and then very sad in others. But her voice is quite interesting. 
  2. The Black Poets - This anthology is probably one of my favorite collections. It actually jumped out at me at Half Price Books a while ago, and like the poetry collection, I've been slowly reading through this piece-by-piece. There are a lot of familiar hymns, chants and poetry, and then some completely new pieces I haven't read before. It is a relatively chronological history of black poetry that begins as far back as American slavery hymns to literary authors closer to modern poetry. I absolutely recommend this to everyone. I stumbled across a few that really hit me with their beauty. 
  3. The Name of the Wind - This is the first of a series, The King Killer Chronicles. I have a borrowed copy from a friend right now. It is a very long book, but I'm trying to read it as quickly as I can so I can give it back to him, but I'm enjoying it so far. I don't explore fantasy a lot, and I adore the setup so far. Not a dull moment yet. I've been trying to get back into fantasy. 
  4. Harry Potter and the Cursed Child - Bought this on Kindle on the day of release. Haven't really been able to sit through the whole thing yet due to my attention span after work, but I intend to spend a day reading soon, and I will be eating this one up. I really can't wait to explore this story. 
  5. The First Codex: The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel #1-3 - This collection of the series I bought on Kindle during a super sale some time ago. I remember being much younger and seeing the Nicholas Flamel series on bookshelves in Books-A-Million, and I always wanted to read it. But for one reason or another I just never got to it. The first book was really interesting and had some interesting themes. Admittedly, this isn't the most fantastically written story, but it was keeping my attention. Unfortunately, that attention it held completely petered out in the second book. I haven't picked it up in a few months. I do intend to finish this soon so that I can move on. The biggest problem isn't even that what's happening in the story isn't interesting, I just keep hitting a wall of redundancies that aren't appealing to read through. 
  6. Stephen Hawking's Universe: An Introduction to the Most Remarkable Scientist of Our Time - I nabbed this for about $1 at Half Price Books. I can't wait to actually really get into it beyond the first few pages and finish it. 
There are a ton of books on my Kindle, or books that I want to read, that I haven't gotten to yet, but these are my current ones. Have you read these books? What did you think? What are you currently reading? 

4 comments:

  1. I really want to read Harry Potter and the cursed child! It sounds amazing! x

    TOUCHOFGUCCI // BLOGLOVIN 

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully by the end of Sunday I'll be able to confidently say something about any of this, haha. Didn't get the devotional time to read I thought I would yesterday.

      Delete
  2. My husband would be all over Stephen Hawking's book. I'll have to look that up for him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you can find a copy for super cheap online or at a used bookstore. :D

      Delete

Anonymous allowed! Comments are moderated, but please don't be shy. :) HTML allowed.