Monday, January 25, 2016

Roaming With Daywalkers



I work 40 hours (y'know, full time adult stuff), four days out of the week. That's 10 hour shifts from 2:30 p.m. to 12:30 a.m. It's our PM shift. For the next month, that's changing, though. Because of some structural changes with our staff, we needed coverage on the AM shift, so I decided to step up and help. (I'll admit that a part of me is hoping this will earn me brownie points later, but it's not all selfish--our team needs all the help we can get right now, and I owe a member of AM shift for stepping up and joining PM shift for a week some time ago when we needed it.) This means that for four days I've prepped my body by taking ZzzQuil at 7 p.m., passing out around 8 p.m. and waking up at 4-4:30 a.m. No more getting home around 12:50 a.m. and staying up until 3 a.m. for me. My new shift, for at least the rest of February is from 6 a.m. to 4 p.m. Have you ever been up at 4 a.m., not because you were still awake but because your alarm just went off, and you were suddenly struck with the sensation that there shouldn't be a 4 a.m.? I don't think there's enough coffee in this world to make me see otherwise. But if there's anything I know about being awake but feeling like you're dead, it's that chugging iced coffee is a sure-fired way to both puke and wake the heck up. So, I guess that's what I'll be doing for the rest of January and February. I have no idea what this means for my routine--writing, exercise, working on projects, reading, etc. I guess we'll find out together. Wish me luck! 

4 comments:

  1. Good for you for standing up to fill in the areas where your team needed the help! I on the other hand would be very hard to be around because my normal daily life schedule consists of no mornings earlier than 11 am. I'm not the same person when I wake up earlier than 10, and it is literally hell to be around me, so I'm proud of you for biting the bullet and being a champ about it!! ♡♥♡♥♡♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. <3 <3 <3 my body has definitely hated me for it but I'm getting a little used to it now

      Delete
  2. Yep. Like I just commented, I used to wake up at 3:30am to work at 4am. (I was a barista at a drive-up coffee stand, and we were supposed to open at 4:30am.) It's so miserable! Coffee helps, haha! And lately I've noticed that if I eat something (or in my case, drink a protein shake) within 10 minutes after waking, no matter how gross i feel, I start to wake up much better than just going on coffee.

    I hope your months aren't too miserable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's a good tip about the protein shakes/food. i have been eating a banana when i get up to see if that helps some. i want a blender so i can make a little smoothie to sip on while i'm getting ready and then take with me.

    I just have a few more weeks so I think I will be able to survive so long as I watch my coffee intake.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous allowed! Comments are moderated, but please don't be shy. :) HTML allowed.