Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Welcome, 2016



I've had "What Are You Doing New Year's Eve?" stuck in my head for the past two weeks. It's a lovely song, especially when sang classically. Two of my favorite covers of this song are Zooey Deschanel and Joseph Gordon Levitt's duet and Seth MacFarlane. The former is a bit more cutesy, but Zooey has such a classical tone to her voice that it just fits so beautifully with holiday music, especially. And Seth MacFarlane is an amazing singer. Sometimes, when there isn't any noise around me or anything to distract me, I'll just burst out into the first verse until I get my kicks in again--my shower and kitchen are probably tired of me by now for that reason. I can't say I've been pushing to see 2016, but I can say that 2015 had good and bad times, and I'm ready to put them all aside right now and move on to a new year.

I'm happy with my job, my marriage, my friendships and my life overall. Some people aren't having as easy of a time. (I just hope you know that you can always come to me if you're reading this and feel like this is you.) I've got goals that I want to complete before 2016 is over. A bit ago I blogged that I wanted to tie up the loose ends of 2015 before it ends. I'm almost done with everything except one thing. I'm proud of myself for being able to say that. Beyond that, my goals for 2016 are mostly writing/editing/publishing related. Get my stuff published, get it out there, get it finished. That's the most important. The next is get fit again (because the holidays were fiercely delicious). Then small but important things like go out more with friends. I'm not looking to get wild every night, but things as simple as coffee and brunch dates with friends with important and fun conversation are so important. I did a lot of it in 2014 and the first half of 2015, but something happened and it all just abruptly stopped. Some of my best moments were those days eating brunch-y foods, laughing over something stupid, whining about work and drinking mimosas.

And I want to do more outreach--with art, friends and faith. I want to leave a mark on this world not with my face or image but with a message I can share, with arms I can use to hug people, and with sincerity that I can soothe people.

The other day, I picked up Savannah from the airport. She spent the previous week of Christmas with her family, and while I would have jumped at that opportunity, she was a little less ecstatic about the trip. Luckily I was there to greet her with hugs, the other half of a chai tea latte I ordered while there and a patty melt that I made with my own two little hands just for her--because a 5-hour flight and a 3-hour time zone leap makes for one really exhausted body. She was incredibly grateful, and I just thought about all of the times I've really needed a hug and a metaphorical patty melt and someone was there for me.

Gotta pay it forward, and keep paying it forward in 2016.

10 comments:

  1. Cute glasses!

    www.tusksandtails.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's been something I just had to start wearing actually, haha.

      Delete
  2. Happy new year my dear!
    Thanks SO much for reminding me that Zooey Deschanel and Joseph Gordon Levitt covered this song together! I had completely forgotten about it, it's so cute! :)
    I find it awesome that your resolution is to leave a mark on this world. Keep being as sweet and likeable as you are and you'll achieve whatever you want! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks so much Ina! <3 I hope that you have a fantastic 2016.

      Delete
  3. Happy new year! Your resolution is so lovely and inspiring and I am sure you will get to leave a beautiful mark. Wishing you an an amazing year.
    x
    Josette
    http://josies.nu/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks for your kind words Josette! Happy new year. :)

      Delete
  4. Those are some very beautiful, inspiring goals. It's always lovely to hear someone wants to leave a mark on the world with something of value rather than just a famous face. Happy New Year! :]

    // ▲ itsCarmen.com ▲

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year, Carmen! <3 I hope you have a great one full of love.

      Delete
  5. Inspiring goals to have! Happy New Year :)

    xo,
    Lily | pslilyboutique.com

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous allowed! Comments are moderated, but please don't be shy. :) HTML allowed.