Thursday, October 15, 2015

Pasta, French Lessons and Urbanus Conversation

I don't go to work until 1:30 in the afternoon. I don't start my shift until 2:30 in the afternoon. So why is it that I always find it hard to wake up at a decent hour in the morning and go jogging and eat a full breakfast before taking a luxurious shower like you think most well-to-do adults would? Maybe it's because I also work until 12:30 in the morning and don't get home until 1. Maybe I've just never been good at finding some way to start my day that didn't begin in whining and copious amounts of coffee.

At 1:08 p.m. on the Saturday of another work day, I was watching water boil, in the hopes that I could make some semblance of a lunch before I walked out of the door. Carrie, Charlotte, Samantha and Miranda were gabbing about something at an upper-east side Manhattan brunch spot--as they do--sipping on wine, Carrie smoking, Charlotte bating away at the smoke a couple of times. And all I could think were how do women like that do it? They have jobs, but they spend more time in and out of fancy establishments of couture and culture, than they do in their jobs. Perhaps for Carrie it is easier, because she's a columnist. But what about the others? They get up, their homes are spotless, they exercise everyday or eat smaller portions and still feel satiated. They even get to go shopping almost every day or week. What are they doing differently?

But that's the trap that TV sets you in: to think that somehow your life is comparable to some make-believe lifestyles/sex columnist in New York, when you're a woman in her mid-20s in an apartment far away from New York.

I've been doing my best to be a better writer, reader, editor, knowledge-seeker/enthusiast. I've been trying to find more time to get out and do things, too. Admittedly, I just had four days off in a row (happenstance), but I spent them mostly resting because that's what I really needed. I've found that it's also okay--like it is to not be Carrie Bradshaw--to recognize when you just need sleep instead of pizazz. And in between the planner pages I have daily things that I'm constantly checking off of lists--brushing up on my daily Bible devotions, working out, and working on my French.

French is first, then at least four other languages I've always said I want to learn. I plan on digging deep into all of them, and maybe practicing some of them in my writing and spare time. Because who doesn't wish to be fluent in more than their own tongue? I want learning more about another language to influence how I look at my own. (I bet my old French professors would love to know what I've been up to lately.)

Perhaps I am just as insightful as a bunch of sex addicts smoking over salmon and wine in the big city. Experience makes you wise, after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anonymous allowed! Comments are moderated, but please don't be shy. :) HTML allowed.