Saturday, October 3, 2015

October



I started October with a pumpkin muffin my friend baked (with pumpkin puree, thanks Savannah) and a pumpkin spice latte (that I burned my thumb making, thanks searing hot almond milk). I sat on my kitchen counter, feet dangling a foot or two from the ground, a bright sun hanging behind gloomy clouds, warming my back as it can from the large kitchen window. I was enjoying these few moments of solitary joy in my morning before getting ready for work, but all I could think was about where I was in life.

I have spent most of the last week reflecting on what September was, and now I am focused on what October can be. For me, it's about finishing things I started. On October 8 I will be 25 years old. I want to tie up loose ends before I push forward into a new year of my life. I want to stop being lazy and submit those 6 pieces of work still sitting in an envelope to be sent off. I want to exchange margin notes with my friend Ariel and finally send her back her books. I want to finish reading my library books and get them back on time. I want to finally finish the books I borrowed from my friend Chris. I want to finish the books downloaded to my Kindle. (Seeing a pattern here?) Any other goals--personal, professional and recreational--that I set for myself years ago I want to finally complete.

It's not a quarter-life-crisis. It's just an understanding that life moves forward whether we want it to or not, so we might as well keep pace with it and do what we always say we're going to do--and do it well.

12 comments:

  1. This is such a beautiful post, Jennifer. I love your outlook on October, to finish things i started. That's wonderful. I think that way whenever it's close to my birthday too. It's a new year, a new age quite literally. It's not a crisis, it's just growing up <3

    And Happy Advanced Birthday! <3

    xx Bash | Hey Bash | bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, Happy Advanced birthday! It's wonderful you're keeping pace with the forward-moving life. I've been thinking a lot about October, too, and have been making it a point to let October be the best it can be. Of course, that includes reading!

    Happy October, Jennifer, good luck!

    May | THE MAYDEN | Bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. October is going to be a good month. I can feel it. :)

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a really good attitude and plan you got there Jen! Reading lots and lots of books can never be wrong! I need to take more time to read again myself! Neglecting reading is really one of thr worst things laziness can bring.
    I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you to fulfill all your dreams, plans and goals! :)

    Bad Taste Toast - A German/Australian Style Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Ina! <3 I'm definitely working on it. I hope you have an awesome month.

      Delete
  4. nice blog dear :) I love autumn.. it's time for relax and good evening tea :)

    http://moje-kreacje.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely a lovely way to spend an autumn day. :)

      Delete
  5. This makes me so excited for fall, but stahp. It's still hot as balls here. :'((((

    Literally, I stayed up last night writing in my diary about a quarter life crisis and what I think it looks like/will be like. I turn 24 in a few months and I can feel myself going through changes like you. I feel the need or want for completion, but I also feel a huge need for wanting to push forward. It's weird and exciting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to know I'm not alone! I don't think I'll hit the quarter life crisis--at least, I hope not. So far i'm good, and it is 11:28 on the eve of my birthday, haha. But I definitely get what you mean in that it has involved a lot of inward thinking and forward thinking as I've posted about here.

      Delete
  6. I was looking through some blogs and today, October 8th, I found yours! Ahppy Birthday!

    Megan♥
    abarefootgal.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D Thanks so much, Megan. I hope you stick around.

      Delete

Anonymous allowed! Comments are moderated, but please don't be shy. :) HTML allowed.