Monday, September 28, 2015

Positive Vibes



Today I woke up in one of the worst ways you can: Thinking I was late for work when it was my day off. Obviously there are more terrible ways to start your day, but it certainly didn't feel good rushing out of bed only to realize I could have probably slept a few more minutes.

September is almost already over, and I really can't believe it. September was a strange month. It brought us autumn, but it also brought me a strange whirlwind of emotions from doubting myself, to worrying about money (thanks, student loans), to caring for a friend while they're down and out, to being told I wasn't being enough of a friend for another, to writing more in one month straight than I had in some time, to reading a larger variety of texts, to revisiting my old love of poetry, to celebrating an anniversary, to wishing I had more time to catch up with friends and family across the country... It was a lot. I remember some days feeling like they were slow and relaxed, and then the next day I would want to start working on something that I had been putting off and realize that one day to myself meant I compromised time that I should have used to get things done. But I guess I can't really blame myself for taking the time to myself. Sometimes you just really need to step away from work and errands and enjoy just a day on the couch or a walk outside without obligation.

Through all of this month, however, I've been focusing on those positive vibes--the things that making me happiest--and washing away the negative. Today was no different. I spent my day off doing nothing, because I just really needed that calm, and the whole time I was reminded of why I have 1,000 reasons and more to be happy. So I made a board on Pinterest, a site I haven't consistently been to in months, and started pinning things that are bright and fun and make me smile. I wanted a new place for these new vibes I'm feeling out, and somewhere to go to if I'm feeling low or just want to scroll through something fun.

And in my every day, not vetted by the void of the Internet, I make sure I find the bright and fun where I can. The windows in my apartment let in the perfect amount of bright light every day, and it lifts my spirits every morning when I wake up. And when that doesn't even work, some music to start the day off right usually helps. This evening I took a long shower, shaved my legs--to start the cold seasons off without a shave-hibernation that so many of us are guilty of doing--and got rid of any toxicity I might have been clinging onto hours before as I listened to a playlist I made about 5 years ago and haven't listened to in some time. Here's what I recommend if you need a pick-me-up playlist:
  1. "Dela" by Johnny Clegg & Savuka
  2. "Send Me On My Way" by Rusted Root
  3. "Hold Me (feat. tobyMac)" by Jamie Grace
  4. "There Goes the Fear" by Doves
  5. "She's Got You High" by Mumm-Ra
  6. "Sweet Disposition" by The Temper Trap
So take a long shower, do some laundry, let in more light into your home, read a good book, watch your favorite movie or go out with friends. Do things that fill you with joy because the months fly by so quickly. I'd rather be doing things that make me happy (like running through the apartment complex with my best friend Savannah wearing matching pizza pajamas looking for a view of the blood moon at 10 p.m.) than bringing myself down. Life finds a way to do that enough without your help.

8 comments:

  1. September has been a pretty odd month for me, too, but there's nothing like a self-reflecting post like this to pick ourselves back up. I hope you have a better October, Jennifer. All the best!

    May | THE MAYDEN | Bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oof, how I hate thinking I have to work on days I have off! Mornings are such an important start to the day and if I get them wrong, it's hard to make the rest of the day right! Love that playlist, and thank you for the extra dose of positivity. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Johnny Clegg and Rusted Root are great jams ;).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweet Disposition always puts me in a great mood. Amazing how it does that! You have the best outlook on such tough times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks, Emily! And welcome back. ;)

      Delete

Anonymous allowed! Comments are moderated, but please don't be shy. :) HTML allowed.