Saturday, April 26, 2014

"A" Is For "Amour"



Some days ago it was announced that there would be a poker night with friends. I turned down the invitation, and let Trey go by himself. At the time, it was because my sleep schedule was still so off,  I couldn't imagine how it would be better by today. It made his transport straight from work to the game a lot easier, but then I started feeling guilty for having said "no" originally. I'm still trying to make friends with these people, after all. (Despite how awkward I am.)

But then it turned out to be a bit of a blessing in its own way. It was incredibly quiet all day in the apartment, and I was able to relax a little, knowing that he wouldn't be back home until late (which means I get to put off cleaning for a little while longer). I started reading and my eyes kept wandering towards my sketchbook. I really hadn't drawn anything in some time. Not even a doodle. Then I got an idea. I got up, got dressed and headed outside. The day was bright and breezy. I love that about this place. It hasn't been hot yet. And, best of all, it's not humid.

I walked all the way through town, stopping to gaze at a few things here and there, just because. Luckily, I remembered I had some cash in my purse so I turned my butt around and walked all the way to the nearest Starbucks. In this state, they're kind of known for coffee, so finding one wasn't hard--I knew I had a good shot if I just walked about a mile or so down the road in one direction.

"One venti iced coffee with toffee nut and half-and-half." It's an order I grew accustomed to in college. And it's only about three or so dollars. I sat down at a table outside and started drawing a big "A." It's part of my typography project, I guess. I want to get through the alphabet. Then I'll see what else I can do. I even met a high schooler, and we geeked out about our Nintendo 3DS games. It's nice to know even with an age gap, two strangers found something in common.

When I got tired of Starbucks--and I realized my phone was down to 5% battery--I decided to get up again, presumably to go home. Then I remembered there was a trail just off of the road that I've passed before and got curious. I'm glad I went down it. I drew some more, I pet a pug and I watched a lot of people walk, jog, bike or even carry some fishing rods. It was a nice place to just stop and enjoy the outdoors. In hindsight, I probably should have brought extra batteries for one of my cameras and a charger for my phone, but it's been awhile since I've taken an extensive little adventure like that before. Either way, I headed home with one camera still working and was able to spot a bunny (that was too quick for my camera) and a bunch of baby ducks in the pond.

When I finally got close to finishing the picture, I changed the "A" into the word "amour." I really do love this place. But I won't be ditching the next poker night anytime soon. I know I would have had fun there, too.












12 comments:

  1. ah, this is like a breath of fresh air.
    i totally understand how you were feeling and then went on a little adventure by yourself and things brightened.
    not only that but your words are a delight to read and your photos a delight to see
    ~Abigail

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful pictures, and adventuring on your own is always awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My God it is absolutely beautiful there. I'm loving your little adventures and that you're pushing yourself outside of your shell. One step at at time is so much better than no steps at all! I love that you got to doodle, pet a pug, and *almost* take pictures of a bunny and ducks in a pond :) All of that would make me super extremely happy! And btw, your doodle is gorgeous. I need to start painting outdoors again. I'm not much of a doodler, but when it comes to painting.. oh man. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I love painting, too, sometimes. But drawing is definitely my top favorite. Thank you so much, Lyndsey! :D :P

      Delete
  4. I love your photos! I'm not an artist, but I agree, drawing and making art of any kind is pretty fun. It's so relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was definitely a beautiful day for it.

      Delete
  5. Oh I just love days like that! I am glad that you had fun! I am sure you will make it to the next poker night :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a great day! Sometimes you just have to nourish the soul and wander. Your work (both the sketch & photos) is wonderful btw :)

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous allowed! Comments are moderated, but please don't be shy. :) HTML allowed.