Monday, March 17, 2014

Dreams

I've read few studies on dreams, but as remarkable as the studies can seem, I like a little mystery. I don't like to always over analyze what I'm dreaming, or believe there could be something deeper there. Sometimes, it's just a dream.

I've always had strange dreams--most of the time full of a lot of action and dialogue. Apparently I'm not the only one in my family who has such an active imagination while unconscious. I never hear about his dreams anymore, but I remember being young and hearing my brother crying or laughing in his sleep. He always seemed to have very active dreams. I had symptoms similar to insomnia growing up; I was up late enough to hear his half of the dreams before I dropped into my own.

Once, before my brother was even old enough for kindergarten, I remember hearing shouting from his bedroom. I got out of bed--terrified for the little guy--and rushed in. He was asleep, but very noisy. I didn't know how to handle a kid in a nightmare. I didn't even know how to handle myself in a nightmare back then. We were both just young and trapped in our own dreams. I found Mamma and Daddy a couple of rooms over and told them Heath was having a nightmare, and I didn't know what to do. They both gave me sympathetic smiles and crept into his room with me--my mother and I stayed at the bedroom door while my father sat on the edge of my brother's bed.

"Hey, buddy," Daddy said softly. Heath sat right up. His eyes were wide open, but he was completely asleep, still trapped. "Daddy!" he shouted.
"Shhh," my dad cooed. "What is it? What's wrong?"
"The soldiers! They're everywhere! They keep shooting at me and I'm out of ammo! I don't know what to do!" He looked as if he could cry.
"Hey, hey, don't worry!" Daddy winked at Mamma and me. "You see that bush over there?"
"Y-yeah..."
"I'm behind it! Do you see me?"
"Yeah! Daddy!"
"Shhh! Don't give me away!"
"Sorry..."
"I've got plenty of ammo in my sniper rifle. I'm gonna' get 'em for you."
"Okay! Please Daddy, they're gonna' kill me..."
"No, they aren't! I won't let anybody hurt you." Daddy made a few small noises--the minimal noise you'd hear in movies or games with sniper rifles that had silencers on them. That's the small bit of knowledge I could identify with when it came to sniping. I knew that sound, and so did Heath--he smiled.
"I got him! Did you see it?!" Daddy said.
"Yeah! Get the other one! By the bunker!" Heath said.
"Alright!" Another noise. "I got him!" Another noise. "Look! They're all gone. They won't hurt you."

Heath's eyes slowly shut again and he melted back into the form in his bed. Daddy pulled the covers over his shoulder. "Thank you, Daddy."
"You're welcome, baby boy."

My brother was back in dream land, but thanks to the coolest warrior we both know, he was dreaming of victory at last.

8 comments:

  1. What a beautiful story. What a wonderful family you have and shared with us.
    I don't know a lot about dreams but I've been thinking about doing some research on them. Sometimes in my 'real' life i'll remember parts of past dreams, wondering if they actually happened to me out of my sleep. Funny how the natural instances and dreams can get so mixed up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I dream about real occurrences, people and places all the time so I can completely relate!

      Delete
  2. AWW! That was really beautiful! I don't ever remember my dreams anymore, but I think it is wonderful how you and your parents handled that situation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, my dad was awesome that night.

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful story. It made my heart smile.

    I used to keep a dream journal all the time and I got to the stage where I could somewhat lucid dream. It became too much effort and I went back to enjoying my dreams for what they were

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always been interested in lucid dreaming, but I hear the stages for getting to that point are ridiculous. My friend tried it and she documented it on her Tumblr. It kind of terrified me what her body went through. Although, she may have just been doing it wrong, idk. Either way, I've really debated having a dream journal at some point. I don't know, maybe I'll start one one day. I do love journals.

      Delete
  4. What a great post! I'm the same, and I don't like over analyzing my dreams either, to be honest I think sometimes they're so weird there may be no explanation! My brother also dreams a lot too, because he's a massive sleep talker. This was a great read! I'm following you now on bloglovin' and I can't wait to see so much more! :)

    x leah symonne x

    itsleli.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you so much! :D Dreaming can be a lot of fun, even if it is crazy.

      Delete

Anonymous allowed! Comments are moderated, but please don't be shy. :) HTML allowed.