Wednesday, September 25, 2013

1:57 a.m.

"Remember Blazer Brew is open for you until 2! Thank you!"

 The barista said it in such a high-pitched voice, we could hear its disingenuous and rehearsed echoes throughout the internet café. I looked at Alli and she had the same annoyed expression on her face. "That woman's voice was driving me nuts!" she said as we exited back to our usual station in the library. The only real thing on my mind was the exam we had in the morning.

 Her voice did irk me, but for more than just its sound--her tone was what grabbed my attention. I internally scoffed at the barista's phony farewell to each customer. I wanted to say that I feel her pain just to break the awkward silence as she rung up my beverages--I just finished work myself. Working past midnight is never fun, but sometimes it's necessary.

 This barista's discontent for her job reminded me of the same ill-mannered rally-goers that made Occupy an unfortunate meme. And just like true Americans, those who participated acted as if our working class was the only working class to have ever suffered in history--as if our luxury of being workers somehow didn't matter, despite many still, on the streets of some of the biggest metropolitan areas, unable to even gripe about having to head into work on Mondays. The unemployed's last worry is if their bosses will force them to do something at work that day. Earning money is such a drag, man.

 The barista rolled her eyes whenever she thought no one was looking, but I'm one of the few that always is--I would say it is the journalist in me, but I think it's just writers in general. Before I clung so heavily to this genre and style, I found myself always observing. Often I caught mannerisms that I'm sure others thought they had hidden well.

 But I think some part of the barista at Blazer Brew wanted Alli and I to see the look on her face when she was done with her rehearsed good-bye. This stranger was sending a message: She's better than this place. She just hasn't found her chance to prove it yet.

 Well, some wise guy did say that there's no time like the present. I'll keep working past midnight; my job is giving me the chance to prove my worth. And the drinks the barista sold me will help me through the night so I can prove myself again in the morning during the exam that currently has Alli frazzled.

2 comments:

  1. I love what you said about the observing part, glad it's not just me. I love this story, its one of my favorites, thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! Thanks for reading. :)

      Delete

Anonymous allowed! Comments are moderated, but please don't be shy. :) HTML allowed.