Wednesday, July 10, 2013

The Pure Life

***Sometimes I get informal with my posts.***



My Pura Vida bracelets came in the mail today, and I couldn't be happier. I heard about them through a friend who is now selling for them, but I did my own research on them a week ago and couldn't wait until going back to campus in a couple of months to buy from her. (Sorry, Dowling! I'll totally buy some more from you when classes start, dear.)

If you want to know the story behind Pura Vida, click here.

If you'd like 15%-off your purchase, go here.

"Pura vida" in Spanish means "pure life." 

It's a lifestyle I've been moving towards for myself since 2013 began in order to keep moving forward. I'm living one day at a time and not letting anything hold me back. And I'm living for inner peace and God's will.

Pura Vida Bracelets gives back to the Costa Rican artisans who create(d) them, providing them with full-time jobs to take care of their families. The company also gives their profits to One Percent for the Planet and the Surfrider Foundation, cleaning up oceans. There are several charmed, braided and beaded bracelets that are cute and fashionable, but if I was going to give back to the business and its stance, I wanted the first bracelets to stand for something more personal.

Pura Vida Bracelets has a charity line whose profits go towards awareness and research of the cause of your choice. The causes I chose mean something near and dear to me:

  1. The multicolored bracelet: Stop Bullying. It's a movement I've cared for and it really gained momentum with social media--it is social media, honestly. You see people hashtag it all the time. I've spoken a little about my problems with bullies, but it's really what I've seen around me that's affected me the most, more than what's been directed at me. I just don't see what is so great or commendable about bringing others down, and ever since last year, my care for the movement has really taken off. 
  2. The red one: Natural High. Another movement I care for. Granted, Natural High was something I heard about in college, but it's always been something I stood for. I took care of myself to lose the extra weight I had the healthy way, and I work every day to continue to take care of myself. Natural High is also about not submitting to drugs or alcohol of any kind. Get your boost the healthy and active way. I do occasionally have a drink, but no more than a drink. I've always hated the abuse of substances, especially drugs. Hipsters call it "straight edge," but I just call it taking care of myself. I don't like to mask my problems with substances, either. Which, unfortunately, a lot of people my age do. Just because a drink makes you feel better after a stressful day doesn't mean your stress isn't there when you sober up. ("Being a badass is handling your shit." - Demi Lovato)
  3. The grey one: Brain Cancer Research. My mother died from a tumor on her brain stem, and I do genuinely care to know more about brain cancer and the research involved in not only finding a cure but how you can help others who are going through it. 
The black bracelet on my wrist is just a generic, beaded bracelet I bought while in the mountains in a shop there. But it means a lot because I'm reminded of that trip when I see it. It reminds me of the peace I found there. 

Pura Vida Bracelets does a lot, and their cute bracelets still keep those artisans in business and give towards the two causes the owners care about. So even if you don't buy from their charity line, you're doing a good thing. 

I actually would like to see Costa Rica one day.

12 comments:

  1. That's really cool...I'm going to check out the website!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i totally agree with you and feel much the same about bullying and substance abuse. It feels good to know that there are others who stand so strongly for the same thing.

    I hope Pura Vida bracelets are delivered to India too. Googling right away!

    Best of luck.. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Like-minded people are great! :) Cheers to you! And it's already technically and international business, so I would hope so!

      Delete
  3. These look awesome, a great concept! I'm a brain tumour survivor myself so completey agree there :)
    http://lifeinsidethelocket.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have such a wide variety of bracelets--not even just on their charity line. It's definitely worth looking at.

      Delete
  4. I really like that you used that Demi Lovato quote...because she is very much in the know with that one.
    fantastic post, I am going to check this out after work :p I am being a bad worker and checking out blogs haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I think we've all done it :P And yeah I'm glad you agree with me on Demi. :)

      Delete
  5. This was great! I really had no idea where these came from/were about and I really love that you covered all of the basics! I am going to look into these more. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! :D I hope you find something you like.

      Delete
  6. Such a good life philosophy. Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I hope your weekend is lovely, as well.

      Delete

Anonymous allowed! Comments are moderated, but please don't be shy. :) HTML allowed.