Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Write me someday.

How many times can someone say good-bye before it stops hurting?

There was that one time I missed that last chance, but I never forgot to say good-bye to her before walking out the door to school. It may have been the last time I could kiss her on the cheek and say good-bye, but I was able. And I even sneaked in an "I love you, Mamma" before I left. That, at least, made me feel better about things--much later when the absence became unavoidably normal.

I've said good-bye several thousand times to my best friend; we've gone off to see new worlds separately and yet come back learning the same depressing and exciting things about life and the people in it. Consequently, it's made us permanently youthful, in our hope for the future, and equally cynical, in our hope for humanity. But I know each good-bye will not be the last--at least the hopeful youth in me still believes that can be so. I'll say hello again. But each final embrace does feel terribly present and final.

Each time I've held his hand for the "last time" has been harder. I hold on for dear life like I'll never see him again--like I'll never feel him again. We stare at each other for awhile, embrace for awhile and freeze time in that breathtaking way when everything around us is still--long enough for me to get my fill and he his. Eventually I find some peace, even if I miss him dearly; that sort of longing can stop time, too, I've found.

Every good-bye has been hard, and I've always been the worst at making them easier for other people. Tears form, and we both know it's over. All of our composure crumbles.

And there's you. I don't know how we fell into each other, but we did. We became close the minute I walked into that office, all the while knowing your time with me would be short. Still, I allowed myself to open up to you more than I had some. You got me. I may be crude and temperamental. I may be blunt and refuse to sugar-coat what I say. But I'd like to believe that you get why. And now you, too, are gone. I didn't want to look at you for fear that I might break, but I broke anyway. And then I held you, dear friend, and you too had tears in your eyes. I didn't expect to see you wipe away so many. I expected to fail at holding back mine, though. Your time is up here, and you're off to see more of the world and do great things. You have plans waiting for you elsewhere and dreams you have to fulfill.

I hope you're happy, and I hope you find love with someone or your writing or River Street. I hope you find friends (as if I have any doubts), and I hope you write me someday. I promise to write back, too.

10 comments:

  1. this is so lovely... <3 v well written!
    xxx
    http://eleanorcos.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. At your young age, not that you're all that younger than me, it seems you've had to say good-bye one too many times in your life... Me too, it sucks. It never gets easier. With your friend, just remember that there are so many ways to stay connected, it will be like they never left if you plan trips, FB, Blog, Skype etc... For those that are in another world, it's nice to think that they could still be with us. I believe my sister is always with me!
    Xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's definitely a good point about your sister. Thank you so much.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I LOVE YOU WITH ALL MY HEART AND I'M SO EXCITED FOR YOU AND SCAD AND YOUR POSSIBLE JOB! <3 You're amazing.

      Delete
  4. I needed this today more than you know. I feel that goodbyes are only hard for me though... he takes a piece of my heart with him every time. baaah.

    Anyways you are awesome, I love you, the end. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love you more, Maria, dear. <3 :D And yeah I know your goodbyes are definitely harder than mine, but the good thing is you guys are engaged--you're promised to each other and you know he'll come back to you. :) I hate being three hours away from Trey during breaks because then he's just out of reach for me to see him, but I know your situation is much harder. I'm praying for you guys. <3

      Delete
  5. Oh no silly girl when I said goodbyes are only hard for me I meant just me not Thien... and in no way was I trying to seem like my situation is terrible :) dont think that! I will message you soon! have a couple of things to update you on, brilliant friend. I love reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, oh okay, I gotcha. I knew Thien's last day there was soon so I assumed you were referring to it specifically. And yes, do update me! Text me, though, 'cause I'm not on FB or Twitter right now.

      Delete

Anonymous allowed! Comments are moderated, but please don't be shy. :) HTML allowed.