Sunday, September 30, 2012

100 Words: Shadows Fade



The shadows fade as I walk, the light kisses closest to the ground then strays. It's like a painting. Three hours from here, autumn is changing the town I know into a colorful utopia--a sight for these worn eyes. Here, the summer sun is still at its peak. We'll likely not see autumn at all--if we're lucky, we'll see winter.

"The winter is supposed to be brutal this year," she said. I'll believe her when I'm home and I can see a flurry or snow, or two. For now, I'm miserable under the unforgiving sun, until I look down again and see the way the shadows fade. They cross through me and fight my silhouette that dances behind me. It's the only bright spot of my day.

12 comments:

  1. Just found your blog and I love your wriitng. I can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all of your '100 Words' posts! Less is more, but I could never get it down to only 100 words, so bravo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, i cheated, ariel. don't get jealous. i prefer my longer pieces when i have something to say. plus, this was technically 129 words. oops.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I needed something to go up here, and I was just glad I found the time to finish this draft. :)

      Delete
  4. I'm glad my pursuit of good reading bright me here today. I'm sure, I'll be reading quite a bit from your archives hereafter. The flow in your thoughts is what I relate to.
    The beauty of my town has inspired me to begin writing again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck to you on your writing, and thank you.

      Delete

Anonymous allowed! Comments are moderated, but please don't be shy. :) HTML allowed.