Monday, December 26, 2011

We Had A Merry Christmas



Though we lack of a love for tinsel, everything else was hung over mantles, on Christmas trees and dancing in our dreams. The town was painted green and red for the new holiday season.

"Last year it snowed. Yesterday it was 70-degrees!" We were confused.

I received messages wishing me a "Merry Christmas Eve Eve," and part of me grimaced. The holiday spirit is not lost on me, but that was overkill. We all gathered around the living room as the matriarch and patriarch of the family sat in the center, with one large Bible in hand. They read the verses welcoming the newborn King in Bethlehem together, and we all reveled in the proclamation: "Glory to God in the highest, and on earth, peace, good will toward men." Such a tradition will always hold a dear place in my heart.

Then the game called "Dirty Santa." Ornaments were brought and each person drew a number--we could either open a wrapped ornament or steal a previously chosen ornament on our turn. Papa held his head in his hands and fake-cried when his ornament was stolen from him. The youngest, Bethany, lit up when she saw the Frosty the Snowman ornament, and I managed to walk away with a Star Wars ornament from "Episode IV" when Han Solo talks to Greedo. All good things come to those who wait, and being number 16 out of 20 meant I had to wait awhile.

Later that night, the food soothed me to sleep, only to wake up the next day and do it again with another side of the family. The night before I gorged myself on "redneck caviar" dip, smoked turkey, green beans, cookies and other side dishes of which swiftly found its way to my stomach before I could recognize them. This time it was homemade coleslaw, potato salad, crescent rolls, ham and deviled eggs.

Odd presents and stories were swapped. I spent the most of it with grandparents I had not seen in a long time, while the night before I spent most of it entertaining Bethany. Every time I see Bethany I cannot believe how much she has grown. I suppose my grandparents on the other side say the same thing about me, though I managed to level-out at 5'4" by the age of 14--an unimaginable 7 years prior.

Every Christmas, the only thing reminding me that I am aging, is the gifts I receive from year-to-year. I used to be surrounded by Legos, silly putty and fun games. This year: gift cards. Gift cards for the broke college student. Obviously I am incredibly grateful to still be able to get anything--though my plans for giving are going to be late this year.

I was squished on the couch between three grandparents. Granddaddy opened his gift first, revealing a drill. Power tools always easily entertained him. He has been hard at work on a boat for years; perhaps this will speed the process along. The others received iPods and iPhones, which is always entertaining to witness being operated. My cousins and I exchanged looks of humor across the room, and too many pictures were taken to savor the moment.

In the morning I gathered around our own familiar Christmas tree with my family, and opened presents and pulled the goodies from my stocking as if I were a child again. We said a prayer before we ate a delicious breakfast casserole, and we spent the rest of the day in relaxation and peace.

We may not have gotten snow, and the weather was dreadfully gloomy, but we still had a merry Christmas. Because we were together.

7 comments:

  1. you are such a lovely writer but i think i say that every time i visit your blog :) i hope you had a very merry christmas xo

    http://dressedupallligators.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much. I truly appreciate each bit of feedback I get. (Especially the sweet kind, haha.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey! i've just joined your blog, it's great, you're a terrific writer! guess it's a little late to wish you merry christmas, so happy new year!!!

    http://blogmaximumx.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! um, My name's Anndie and I'm from the Philippines in Asia. I just wanted to ask if you could help me start my blog. 'Cauz I don't know where to begin??

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mateus: Thank you so much! Happy New Year to you, too!

    Anndie: I really have no idea how to help you from such a far distance, lol, but I can try..? :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, what about blogging would you like help with?

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous allowed! Comments are moderated, but please don't be shy. :) HTML allowed.