Saturday, November 12, 2011

Were I Blind



My feet criss over the lines on the crosswalks; I take the same paths every day. This walk is second-nature. Were I blind, a subjective part of me believes I could manage fine.

Deafened by the track playing loudly in my ears to block out the traffic and sounds of unfamiliar voices--and those familiar I would rather avoid today--I soak in every word and line. Were I blind, even such an ailment could not stop me from understanding the tactility of their words. I feel through them each day; each rise of a new sun bringing them new meaning.

Ten thousand words swarm around my head
Ten million more in books written beneath my bed
I wrote or read them all when searchin' in the swarms
Still can't find out how to hold my hands

And I know you need me in the next room over
But I am stuck in here all paralyzed
For months I got myself in ruts
Too much time spent in mirrors framed in yellow walls

Ain't it like most people? I'm no different
We love to talk on things we don't know about
Ain't it like most people? I'm no different
We love to talk on things we don't know about


The irony rings against my eardrums: I am blind. I follow the lines and cracks in the road and sidewalk blindly. I ignore the world behind me as I follow my routine. And amidst my meandering which often just leads me back to my hallowed dormitory hall, I manage to miss something even more important: the change of time.

Graced with the chance to see the world firsthand, I rarely use the privilege.

I look up at the leaves and notice them: red, yellow, and some brown--they are ready for winter to come. I am ready for winter even more. I noticed it all just in time.

Some people live for the prospect of seeing the world. I live for the world around me I have already seen--the blessings already given to me (nature and nurture), and the beauty found in those who have stood by me.

If I were to ever become blind, I could live off of these memories alone.

6 comments:

  1. I absolutely adore the sentence "Graced with the chance to see the world firsthand, I rarely use the privilege".

    Beautiful writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your writing always brings me back down to earth, solid and unshakeable, where I need to be.

    So much of my writing is spent in the clouds that I fail (many times) to notice the magic that surrounds me in the mundane, the everyday, the truly extraordinary.

    Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like to go off location to work on my blog best iphone 4 apps. Anyways I was working in the park yesterday and a blind man navigated a whole maze of side walk by himself. It was amazing. Thanks for this post! It reminds me there is a lot of beauty in the world. Even in the things we don't always see.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this comment. I bet that was just a lovely sight.

    I see those who are blind navigate across campus and sometimes I wonder how they truly do it.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous allowed! Comments are moderated, but please don't be shy. :) HTML allowed.