Monday, October 10, 2011

No Booze, But All the Liberation



Permanently etched, permanently scarred on my shoulder is a symbol. In language, a symbol does not have to relate to anything in particular or even be verbally expressed to be a symbol. This symbol, most common to those astute to the late-eighties and early-nineties world of gaming, stands for more than an easily abducted princess in pink. On the other side of town is someone with a certain overall-ed hero permanently placed on his forearm. It was the perfect idea.

I imagined Saturday quite differently: a drink in hand, a moment of glee and then the dive into year twenty-one. Instead, there were no drinks, but not without offer. I have gone 21 years without a drink and I did not care to have one now. There was no need for a depressant like wine--I was having the time of my life. No need for beer--the mere idea makes me cringe a bit. No need for anything. I had everything I needed right across the table from me, scarfing down on some "spasagna."

The ribs were tender and just what I needed to kick off the celebrations. I moved, nauseously out of the booth and into the truck, having eaten too much, and straight to the tattoo parlor where the artist stood waiting for us, where we said we would be.

"Are you ready?"
"As ready as I ever will be."

Tears formed in my eyes. My nerves, again.

The needle hit my skin and an hour later it was finished. Just like that. The process was easier than I thought it would be. It is a birthday gift I will cherish, will always be there, and will always be with him. Because I am his princess, and he is the hero that saves me, everyday, from myself.

Growing up, I scared myself out of every great idea I ever had. With him, I am one step closer to overcoming my nerves and doing whatever I want, for once. How liberating.

14 comments:

  1. A belated happy birthday to you. I'm glad you found such a memorable and meaningful way of celebrating it - and that will last much longer than a hangover!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sharon: Thank you! :D And yeah, I'm definitely much happier that I did this rather than just get completely hammered. I've heard what hangovers can do to a person, and I don't think I'd enjoy the prospect of feeling like that.

    Shane: Haha, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday. That was a great tattoo concept. It's always good to make sure the art is something meaningful, instead of just flash.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow the tattoo is nothing like I expected (I thought you were going for the usual... tribal patterns, wings,... a skull on fire... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Robbie: Thank you! And yes, I'll never get something tattooed on me that doesn't mean something.

    Anna: Thank you. I actually hate those typical kind of tattoos, but that's just me. On other people, it's fine if they want it, but I would never.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hate needles, and for this reason, I don't think I'll ever get a tattoo. But I must say yours looks quite cool. Great way to celebrate your birthday, I'm hoping I can still do something quite significant with mine! love your blog by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought the same thing when I was in high school and then about halfway through senior year I changed my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm quite late but happy birthday!! I'm glad you found what seems to be the perfect way for you to celebrate and that you'll always have sometyhing to remember this day and your feelings by.

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey, thank you! I hope you are doing well this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh wow, never quite seen a tattoo like yours. they're lovely!

    happy belated birthday and yay for being liberated:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. haha thank you very much! we love them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautifully written...

    and you chose wisely.

    Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous allowed! Comments are moderated, but please don't be shy. :) HTML allowed.