Friday, April 15, 2011

"I just wanted to be sure of you."



"Piglet sidled up to Pooh from behind. 'Pooh,' he whispered.
'Yes, Piglet?'
'Nothing,' said Piglet, taking Pooh's paw, 'I just wanted to be sure of you.'"

There are very few things in this world of which I am absolutely certain--and I can feel redundancy as I write this line once more. I know each day the sun will rise, but I am not sure for how long I will be able to enjoy it. I know there is a God who loves me, and to whom I owe everything, but I do not know when I will see everything I have been taught and study unfold. I know I have loved ones who will always be there for me, but I do not know how long before it fades as well.



Love for anyone or anything is quite a terrifying experience. We find ourselves fixated and obsessed with those who have given us a reason to be. We just want to be sure of someone--sure there will always be someone there when we need them. In one way or another, for good or bad, the people in my life have saved me. Without them, I could have been someone completely different; I may not even be here to write this. They have given me strength, support and hope. When I was at my lowest, I always had someone there to pick me up. Somewhere, some omniscient person says it is better to pick yourself up and keep going.

It is easier said that done. I am human, and I need someone there--just a smile or a hand.



Another semester full of memories, stress, tears and laughter is passing before my eyes, and I can barely comprehend the speed of time anymore. Growing up was a grueling process, it seemed. Now I am left with hours in the day slipping past me and time with my loved ones constantly running thin. It is a saddening truth to my life--in and out of dorms, only getting to see my family for short periods of time and then the summer for a bit. My life is always changing, but I have someones to be sure of until the very end. I take pride in that.

-----

Don't forget to comment on this entry and help me with my art project!

11 comments:

  1. And because of that all is well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. so true!! the illusion of time is quite astonishing. and without loved ones it would be all too defeating. congrats on another semester! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this, and I agree completely. I feel strongly about having people to pick you up when you're down. I also feel the need to mention the people you turn to when you need someone doesn't even have to be "there" they just have to be able to be a part of you, even if it's on the other side of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, i just wrote myself about growing up but wasn't quite ready to go to bed yet, so i just decided to check out your blog. I've been lurking here for a while now, from before you were made BoN (which you totally deserve btw) because you write beautiful words and you put them into beautiful sentences...and it is always worth hearing the thoughts of a redhead :-) So keep it up! i hear what you say when you talk about not having enough time for your family and loved ones back at home, i too only see them on most weekends because of school and at times it is frustrating, but remember that doing the best you can to conciliate everything is really all that is humanly possible. and when you love someone they know even if you don't spend every waking moment with them, no matter how much you want to. and since we're here and i came out of lurking if you want to add central Italy to your project that would be me :-). Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi from Hong Kong - found you through Nina.

    I agree...loving is terrifying...but the thought of not loving, and not having those arms to support you when you fail, the concept that you might not be able to support a friend, that you might not be able to love....that to me seems even more frightening - devastating even.

    ~tess lyons

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your blog :) It is always so very insightful, and you always speak the truth about such things.

    I know how you feel...this semester is going by so fast. I want my classes to be over, but I don't want the actual semester to be over. I have met so many new people, and next year the senior friends that I have made will be gone and many of my other friends will be studying abroad. :(

    ~TRA

    http://xtheredangelx.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lydia: Indeed.

    Olive: Thanks, dear! :)

    Amy: But, of course. :) What you said is very true.

    Antonella: I want to visit Italy, soooo bad. :D <3 Thank you for your words. :)

    Anon: Glad to see you know what I mean. I would be nowhere without the people in my life. :)

    TRA: Aw, that stinks, I'm sorry. :( I have a feeling you'll be able to keep in contact, though. I'm sure it won't be as bad as you think. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I Loved this post..As the mother of a very active 9 year old boy and I was a single mother for some time..people will never know how much a helping hand really does help...a smile..a nice gesture will go a long way with someone who cryes herself to sleep because she is trying so hard to put food on the table for her son...time passes by quickly..to quickly..Thats why I try to enjoy all the small things in life and the people in my life..especially my son and my now husband! Again..Awesome post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am sure you have an absolutely beautiful story. Thank you for your comment. :) I love getting to see what other people have to say.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So true :) Family and friends are some of the biggest blessings there are! Glad you have several someones to help you through. :)

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous allowed! Comments are moderated, but please don't be shy. :) HTML allowed.