Monday, March 28, 2011

The Bigger Picture



We made it to the other side and I was just happy to have the sun behind me. I sighed. The day was still young and I felt as though I had accomplished so much. It was a nice feeling for a change.

-----

The winter break following the start of my junior year of high school was met with a trip to Blue Ridge--the beautiful mountains and rich folk of northern Georgia. The trip included my two youth leaders, my best friend Melody and Mikey. We were all excited to make ourselves comfortable in the cozy cabin our leaders had provided for us and just spend some time away from everything. I was all about the search, discovery and relief of cathartic things back then. (I have sense turned to merely napping.)

Once there, we built a fire, laughed, played games, watched movies, explored the town and hiked many trails. And aside from the disadvantages Mikey's clumsiness would leave us with during our hikes--which was mostly do to losing his phone in the stream beds or tripping over himself in the middle of the woods--our small group made the time together worthwhile.

Even our stop at a Country and Bluegrass entertainment aisle was as its appropriate adjective implies. There, we also watched Mikey do the Cha-Cha Slide to a banjo and drum kit. Inside the smoky building, I was able to see something I had not since I was young: snake-skin boots and leather vests. It had been awhile since I had been near the more interesting branches of my mother's family tree--all of which lived by these wardrobe items, and these alone, everyday of their life despite none of them having ever lived in the Wild West other than vicariously through John Wayne. Jacob and Melody knew all the words to most of the country songs that night. It had also been awhile since I even heard the name Shania Twain. But what I remember most was the distinct smell of the crisp mountain air at night when blended with a lovely fire.

All I wanted was to stay there forever--whether alone or with someone, I just wanted to be there, in that moment. The stars seemed brighter and I was more at peace than I had been for years--it was only a little more than a year before that my mother had passed and as tired as I was of the subject, it, like the reality I would be coming home to eventually, was something I could not escape. I would soon, before this night, give up trying, anyway.

Our group made one last trip through a hiking trail and it was more tedious than I imagined it would be. My feet were sore and my throat was dry. I can remember going to a stream and, one-by-one, we filled our small bottles with the fresh water. I had never tasted anything so sweet. The bottled water we previously bought seemed tainted and wrong. For a moment in time I felt like I understood Yule Gibbons, and I was a bit terrified of admitting it.

We made it to the other side and I was just happy to have the sun behind me. I sighed. The day was still young and I felt as though I had accomplished so much. It was a nice feeling for a change. It never did occur to me the oddity of doing more on a vacation than I typically did during a usual week of work. But that journey did not just take me through woods and past rivers and streams--it showed me what I miss everyday: life.

-----

Whilst talking with Trey, he began lamenting why he wants to move north. I knew his reasons. I told him leaving Georgia was not something I had ever considered; this is home. That is probably not what he wanted to hear, but he continued on telling me my opinion matters. "You're part of my bigger picture," he said. I can honestly say no one has said that to me before and meant it.

Six months ago, if someone had told me the future I imagined for myself was going to alter drastically, I would not have believed them. But I had not taken the steps yet to see it all--to be able to breathe it in and see it with new eyes. There was never anyone else by my side when I pictured possible escapades to Europe or future, cozy dwellings. Now I never want anyone but him there. Adjusting myself to someone else has been a harder journey than I thought it would be, but words will never be able to describe how better off I am for doing it.

I guess a lot of things have changed. I am not entirely like the dorky teenager hiking through the mountains of north Georgia anymore, and I have finally found something here on Earth that is beyond any words I could ever compose. It is breathtaking. Brighter than any stars in the sky. It is the man who calls me his "pretty baby." It is Trey and I.

57 comments:

  1. ew. love. gag. ;)

    just kidding. I love it, guh. you are such a talented writer. and y'all are cute. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. EWWWW SAPPY!!!!!!

    I KNEW THIS DAY WOULD COME!!!!

    it's so funny to see u like this now since u always picked at me for it before!! lol YAY!!! you've come to the dark side!

    i'm glad you're happy, junior oompa loompa! i do, however, need to meet this kid. double date! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh whatever. i was only ever teasing. :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe you may want to put a facebook icon to your blog. Just bookmarked the site, but I had to do it by hand. Just my $.02 :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. CONGRATULATION ON BEING CHOSEN A BON!

    I'm glad I found your blog!!

    Steve
    Common Cents http://www.commoncts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great blog, and as AMber said, you are a very talented writer! keep up the good work, and happy blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous: I refuse, sorry. My Facebook is private to people I actually know.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks you guys! This is actually pretty neat! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on the Blog of Note!!! Great blog and I look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey, I just stumbled onto your blog from the Blogs of Note list. You have a very interesting blog going here and a beautiful writing style. I love how your posts flow like a novel. Thank you for sharing this with us :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Car Buying King: Hey thanks! :D

    evanpoe: Thanks so much. I was really proud of this particular post and if this is what got me noticed I am beyond thrilled. :D

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is written well, enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aw, thanks. :) It's one of my favorites to date. <3

    ReplyDelete
  14. love your blog. will definitely visit often.

    congrats on the blog of note :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. great blog ,,,

    http://www.makefoodesy.co.cc/

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi, I popped over from Blogs of Note - Congratulations, I went through your posts and I think you're incredible! I like your writing :) Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi,
    my first time here...
    great photos !
    Greetings from Bordeaux - France

    Bell x one
    Daily Bordeaux Photo
    http://bellxone.skynetblogs.be

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good blog! Is fantastic! I´m following you!

    Please, follow my blog:

    http://questoesdefutebol.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  19. Awesome writing!
    Keep up the good work!

    Many Blessings!
    Father Time

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm really glad you all are enjoying my blog. I hope I don't disappoint you in the future. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your such a brilliant writer :) Keep it up.

    jessicaaasx.blogspot.com

    x

    ReplyDelete
  22. oh love~

    you are blessed to have found it so early in your life:)


    so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  23. ;* a lake lucking blogs http://naszuzel.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  24. looking main http://naszuzel.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  25. I also found you on blogs of note. I enjoy reading your blog, especially the last one you posted. And love the picture as well. You are very talented. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  26. BeautyBabiex: Hey thanks! :D It's the only thing I'm really good at, so I'm glad I can entertain people with it.

    Sher: Hiii! :D Your comments always make me smile. And I'm definitely happy to have! I didn't think I would for awhile, to be honest. I wasn't really looking for it. <3

    Max: :D

    Robert: I don't really understand your comments, but okay...? Haha.

    Erin Royal: Aw, thank you! :D

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi.
    I think i'm in love with you.
    Joke.

    ReplyDelete
  28. OMG U GOT BLOGGER OF NOTE.

    AND YOU'RE THE FIRST BLOGGER whose blog I've actually VISTED and commented on BEFORE it got the title blog of note!

    OMG!!! SO COOOL!

    I doubt it u remember me but I've commented on ur blog before u received blogger of note. =)

    www.riskofrain.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. Leonardo: Well alright then, haha.

    RS: It's probably gonna' sound crazy but I DO remember you! Thanks for coming by again! I love it when people come back by! :D

    KC: That it is! North Georgia is AWESOME! <3

    ReplyDelete
  30. I just came across your blog today and wanted to comment you on how eloquently you write! I am not the most avid blogger but yours definitely has encouraged me to become one. I will definitely continue visiting :)
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Your blog is amazing - I really enjoyed reading it and look forward to more posts.

    Please follow me on terrylinbackpackers.blogspot.com

    Thank you
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  32. Congrats on becoming blog of note!

    www.duncaninkuantan.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. You're a great writer, keep this on! Love to read you

    ReplyDelete
  34. What an awesome blog and congrats on making blog of note. I want mine to become one as well, but I still have a long way to go. I write more about green topics though. Hey, if you're interested in that and what you can do for Earth, you can check out this vid (it has great tips): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGxDAHkt4ok

    ReplyDelete
  35. I read a few of your posts. I cannot believe you are so young with so much insight! And you make words dance across the page. I'd buy any book you write. :) happy Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Thank you so much, you guys. I plan on spending today studying for my math test (a little) and then reading blogs and finding some fun reads from you guys! :D

    ReplyDelete
  37. Enjoyed reading your blog my name and blog is jollyjilly and I'm in the uk

    ReplyDelete
  38. I m in love with your creativity.. Don have words..

    ReplyDelete
  39. What a fabulous picture! Just came across your blog for the first time. Well written and enjoyable. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Hi! I'm from Portugal.
    Your blog is nice.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Love the picture- amazing!!!

    Found you on blogs of note, great site!

    I'm a new blogger, looking for bloggity friends :)

    Follow me at:
    Www.dinnersanddates.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  42. Welcome to my blogging world! It's always nice to have friends here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  43. love the picture and the text is great, too. nice blog!

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous allowed! Comments are moderated, but please don't be shy. :) HTML allowed.