Thursday, February 24, 2011

Toy Guns



When my brother and I were young, we used to play with toy guns. The cowboy kind, completely made of painted plastic, that made a clicking sound whenever you picked them up, as if we broke something and it were rattling around inside--which was likely. They were painted beige, and the mechanisms on the outside painted silver. The pop it made when we shot the gun was a bit piercing, but when we were younger, we never noticed the loud noises. Everything was just for fun.

Heath and I would run around the home we had then--a small yard, a small trailer home. He was so small then, but he was slender, and had a bit of tone. Probably from jumping off of things and reenacting the lightsaber fights in the original trilogy of Star Wars. My arms and legs were no bigger than his, really. Five years apart in age, and at that time, no one could really tell a difference, we were just kids. Age did not matter. Nothing mattered, as long as it was fun... And as long as we did not get scolded for it.



I remember those days. I miss those days. Watching my brother outside in the front yard playing cowboys--or at least what he knew about cowboys from Woody in "Toy Story"--and pretending to be a Jedi Knight, sometimes tagging me in his little imaginary games. He had a trunk full of costumes and clothes that held onto his little body as he zoomed around our home and tried to tangle me into his chase. Everything from Jedi outfits, to a Spiderman costume, to a bit of cowboy accessories. He even had a Link costume from The Legend of Zelda.

These days, he is much slower. Video games and television excite him more than anything else. These days, I am much slower. School drains me mentally and physically the longer I stay here. But the both of us, no matter what we are doing, we are doing something we love. The five years we have different feels like a larger gap emotionally, sometimes. But in the end none of that matters.

When we reunite, on my days away from campus, we have fun. He is my younger brother, after all, and I love him.

I miss him.

26 comments:

  1. I always, always, wanted a brother - being the middle one of three sisters never seemed as good. I'm glad you still have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know being married or having a boyfriend shines some light on it, but you never REALLY know just how different boys and girls are until you grow up with one.

    They're strange creatures...

    But we do still have fun on occasion... When we're not arguing. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha just found your blog! love this! I used to shoot darts in my sister's eye.... dang it. ha

    ReplyDelete
  4. you know... you still make that face... except you actually have teeth now. hahaha love you junior!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i have a younger brother too! i like him a lot better now -- we use to fight alll the time when we were younger. sounds like you two have a great relationship :) xo

    http://dressedupallligators.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ashley 1: OMG That's crazy! Hahahaha. My brother and I used to go at it all the time, but I would've ended up veering away from my topic had I mentioned what happened shortly after the lightsaber battles got a little too rough... D:

    Old Hag (Ashley 2): Haha shush woman!

    Diana: We do now, anyway. Sometimes he still drives me nuts, but it's a LOT better than it was.

    ReplyDelete
  7. aw, this makes me miss my brother. :/ we are five years apart too. I remember the games we used to play. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hehe, yeah I never thought I'd actually miss mine.

    ReplyDelete
  9. sounds like a very special bond!
    I bet you are a FUNtastic sister Jennifer! I used to put salt in my brother's mouth while he was sleeping~ i'm so bad huh?!

    xo*

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haha, that's alright. When my brother was a baby and was lying in the floor in the way of where I was walking, I'd walk on top of him rather than around him.

    I scared my mother into a heart attack quite a few times that way... She thought I was going to seriously hurt him. And I could have.

    Note to self: never leave your baby in the floor if they have an older sibling.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved this post. Seriously. And the Yoda picture at the end made me laugh out loud!

    Smiles,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay! <3 That picture is probably my favorite so far.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a sweet post....I have a sister who is six years younger to me,...reminded me of our days as kids...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I LOVE sibling appreciation posts. Aww now I'm all warm and fuzzy inside (melts). HOW COULD YOU DO THIS TO ME?! You're awful, as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have a nice blog here. I decide to follow you for a while to see what inspiration you'll bring my way.

    ReplyDelete
  16. YOu still look the same...you are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  17. <3 Thank you, Jenny. You always make me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That was a sweet story. Wait until you get my age and you'll miss everything. O' to be young again.

    ReplyDelete
  19. http://mysticmern.blogspot.comMarch 31, 2011 at 4:06 PM

    An Absolutely Beautiful Post, I hop eyour brother gave you a big hug when he read it....

    ReplyDelete
  20. I don't think he even knows about this blog, lol. But thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Children here also like toy guns a lot, especially little boys. It seems that they would think they are much stronger and tougher with a gun though it's just a plastic one... :D

    ReplyDelete
  22. Haha yeah my brother moved on from the plastic ones to the real thing, slightly. He wanted to be in the army for a little while. :P Better than saying cowboy.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous allowed! Comments are moderated, but please don't be shy. :) HTML allowed.