Thursday, November 25, 2010

Thanksgiving



Driving by all the homes already lit up with Christmas lights was uplifting. Doors were open, curtains wide, and families were gathered 'round tables, laughing and passing hoards of casseroles, biscuits and salt and pepper shakers. It is a warm time of year. Even men and women all alone in apartments and small rental houses seem a bit more cheerful--their canned cranberry sauce, small rotisserie turkeys and bottles of wine are their family. They sit close to the television set in the favorite chairs watching their favorite television programs. I would feel sorry for their time alone, but they may prefer it. Their stories are just as unknown to me as the other full houses I passed earlier.

No matter their stories; tonight, what matters is mine. It is my family for which I am thankful, and everything else with which I have been blessed. Through all the heartbreak and hardship, I would never think of trading them for another. Even when I am desperately trying to fight back the urge to stab one of them in the back of the hand--sometimes throat--with my fork--sometimes turkey prongs, depending on which is in my hand at the time. It is this time of the year where the decay of autumn is followed by the winds of new life, waiting to bloom in the months to come; bleeding colors of orange, red and yellow. The browning edges of leaves crippling beneath the lack of rain. All is calmer. The food is warmer when the air is not. The people are friendlier, particularly when they know who is feeding them.

I love this time of year, if it is not apparent. I am just thankful my loved ones and I are together to enjoy it.

15 comments:

  1. "The food is warmer when the air is not."

    That is the best line I've read in...forever. Great, clear writing.

    Enjoy the rest of your holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you enjoy it as well, whether you are celebrating or not. You should celebrate whenever you feel like it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. This day always calls for good food, good people, and good time. I hope you had a wonderful one. Enjoy this holiday dear!

    BTW...great blog you have here. Give mine a visit when you get a chance =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love you're perspective on things and the way you catch things that most missed. The houses I passed were just a blur and you made them poetic.

    I also wanted to stab someone with a fork today though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you both enjoyed it and your holidays. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. you have cute pictures where do you get them?

    ReplyDelete
  7. They're mine. They're all linked back to my deviantART account.

    ReplyDelete
  8. you are an old soul,
    and I mean that in a wonder filled way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You and another blogger have been saying that. :) I respect you both so I'll definitely take that as a compliment.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really enjoyed reading your blog. You're a great writer!

    Whitney

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope you keep coming back and enjoying it! :D I need to write something new soon...

    ReplyDelete
  12. What great work, you should be very proud of yourself

    guide.gather@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks so much! I'm working on being proud. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous allowed! Comments are moderated, but please don't be shy. :) HTML allowed.