Friday, September 10, 2010

The Pages Will Turn

***I have gotten a bit farther with my journal, you can see where I am at the folder I setup in my deviantART gallery especially for it here. ***




(Postage stamps to be placed here and on the inside of the back cover, as well.)

I do not keep blog posts piled up as drafts in my archives. I do not feel the necessity to anticipate reasons for writing on any given day. But I do have one blog post waiting to be published, and I hope to God it is published by June. Every step I take is a step I have made before. I know the ins and outs of this ground better than many and I have done more exploring than others dare under this merciless sun. Everyday it feels different: one day I am longing for the familiarity of home, while the next day I am grateful for the opportunity to be someplace else. I have a lifetime of places with feet who have worn their sidewalks same as I have these. I am not desperate for a way out. Beauty is everywhere, but it is never iconic, perfect, two-dimensional. Much like the people who create it and destroy it, beauty comes in many shapes and sizes--in prosperity and ruin, in the darkness of solitude and light of family.



Travelling is often a romanticized idea. It is not as white as getting to experience new things, it comes with the black and grey of leaving who and what I know and conforming to a ritual that often leaves a newcomer feeling insecure and unsure of why they came. New places mean new ideas, new habits, new faces and new expectations. But with all of that does come the experience, the confidence, and the absence of familiarity makes one appreciate it more when they find their way back. It is for all of these reasons and more I want to see all with which God has created and blessed us. If I had to choose my top two places I want to visit, they would be Italy and Ireland. It is in those places I feel my senses would come to life. I want to feel alive, I want to grow.



So, with all of that said, I have started a journal which I have so affectionately named my "Travels and Miscellaneous Artsy Crap Journal." Unlike my diary that is simply full of musings and dwellings from my day, this is full of briefings of my dreams, and full of creativity. Whenever I see something new, I will make a new page in dedication of my experience. I do not have the cover completely finished, but they say not to judge a book by its cover, anyway.



18 comments:

  1. this is so beautiful jen! :)
    really, i love it.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, thank you! :D I think it's far from my best entry, but I just felt like talking about this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love altered journals. There is an amazing store by my house here that teaches them...two of the teachers are famous scrapbook people. I've always admired them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I've never been good at keeping up with scrapbooks, so the minute I start looking at it like that, I'll probably end up never finishing it. :P (I'm weird, I know.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a good idea! I love your creativity. It is so beautiful. :]

    ReplyDelete
  6. fabulous..
    I love how your mind works...
    how you process life.

    Italy and Ireland. wonderful choices. I was in Italy briefly on my honeymoon as my husband's sister lives in Florence.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw, thank you! :D I cannot wait to finally see those places! :) I'm so jealous you got to go!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is gorgeous! Journals are one of my favorite things and yours looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "it comes with the black and grey of leaving who and what I know and conforming to a ritual that often leaves a newcomer feeling insecure and unsure of why they came" That's my favorite thing that you said. So true and important to think about when you travel. And your journal is so lovely- I can't believe I've gone so long without scribbling in mine.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aw, thank you! And yeah, it can be tough to keep journals up! I know that for a fact. I have an actual diary with just my words in it and it's so hard sometimes to keep it up, the thing that keeps me motivated is the creativity I brought to this journal (thanks to the inspiration from my friend, Chelsea). I think the color and life in it really reflects the rush I get thinking about all the places I could eventually see and the people I could meet! It keeps that dream alive and keeps me inspired. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely lovely lovely, Jen! I have no words!

    Travelling is such a wonderful thing to do, everytime I travel to a new place, I discover so much about everything in life! Italy is definitely a great place to visit, so rich and diverse in history and culture. I can't decide which I liked best, probably Venice because it's so romantic:)

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I cannot wait to visit there and be able to have a real opinion about different places. I'm glad you enjoyed this! :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is so fun! You inspire me to make more creative things!

    New to your blog! I'm loving it so far and can't wait to read more!

    http://www.simplykateweber.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awww I'm so glad I could inspire you! :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. Haha, not that I'm shooting to upstage Ms. Frank, but that is pretty awesome you'd say that. ;D :P

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous allowed! Comments are moderated, but please don't be shy. :) HTML allowed.