Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Downpour



I gave up trying to keep my feet dry two hours into this torrential downpour. The origin of it unknown, but more than likely from some unnamed tropical storm. Which I say, because I really have not cared to do my research; Katrina and Ike's names were run into the ground enough a few years ago for me to even care about keeping tabs--even the Ike Turner comparisons with the ferocity of that storm got old.

My toes were swimming in my socks and had been for an hour. God only knows how my raisin feet and chattering teeth did not lead me into hypothermia. The wind was rough. I knew if I tilted my umbrella the wrong way I could make Mary Poppins envious. So, while I made plans to recreate Noah's Ark, the rain created bigger lakes on the sidewalk, and I longed for a warm embrace that would not come--at least, not today. It seems whenever I need it, it is never there.

The sun started peeking through the clouds. I think I deserve the right to say it was for me. It was the most pleasantly miserable day, simply for the message left for me later to read:

"My bed feels so cold and empty without you in my arms."

22 comments:

  1. When I can't read something quite fast enough, I know I'm reading something I love. I get greedy and want to eat it all at once. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you enjoyed this. I thought it was rather short, which bothered me, however, at the same time, I know the length suits it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh, i love it. very nice. you have a talent.


    -Azede
    http://uncouturier.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love my rain boots on days like this. Love this post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh but raisin feet are so darned cute.

    Or not!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sarah Nicole: Thanks! I have rain boots but they're back at home and I hate that I left them there. Ugh. When I go back home for fall break I'm getting those suckers back, my Converse were still soaked the next day.

    Jenny: Cute, sorta, when you're little. When you're a teenager then it's just uncomfortable and that kind of wet smell that is attractive to no one. :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it was the perfect length, short yet sweet. Your writing shouldn't be dictated by how long you think it should be:)

    And that message at the bottom really warms my lil heart!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw, I'm really glad you enjoyed it. :) I was hoping people would enjoy it like I did writing it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like your blog--great photos, great stories.

    Thank you for your sweet comments over at my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much. :) Just like you, I always appreciate the feedback.

    ReplyDelete
  11. just wanted to say i enjoyed this.... touching.

    ReplyDelete
  12. did you take the photo?

    I appreciate brevity, especially in blog posts.

    and the trick is to leave an impression or image,
    and you do that.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Monica: Thank you, I'm so glad you dropped by and liked it. :)

    Deb: Brevity, for me, works best if it's utilized as a special technique rather than an everyday thing. But I'm glad that I can do all that you say. :) The feedback is most important to me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Blog award! Congratulations :)

    http://megan-huber.blogspot.com/2010/10/one-lovely-blog.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. this is so cute and i love the quote at the end :) i've said it before and i'll say it again, i love your writing!

    lovely,
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Megs: Aw, thank you so much! <3

    Taylor: Thanks, girl. :) (True story.)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well when you live in London you get used to it or at least you fight off the rain wellingtons !

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have rain boots, but they're at home, not at school, unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous allowed! Comments are moderated, but please don't be shy. :) HTML allowed.