Saturday, June 12, 2010

Love and Be Loved

I wanted to write about a wedding. About the ceremonial, nauseating traditions, and about the humorous and obvious differences between Yankees and Southerners in America. However, I could not even force myself to finish the post. I was unmotivated, to say the least.

Recently, I logged in again to MySpace under a new account. I wanted to keep up with my favorite music and To Write Love on Her Arms (TWLOHA). I am glad I made such a decision. Ever since I created a new account, I see new people crying out for attention and love on TWLOHA's MySpace page. It is heartbreaking and beautiful. It is because of this and some of the newest friends I have made through such a discovery, that I feel so inclined to send this to To Write Love On Her Arms, though I doubt they will ever see it:
I love you, TWLOHA. What you do... What you stand for... You guys are absolutely amazing. I hope to intern with you all at least once in my life, to experience the outreach, the fellowship, the love.

I read the stories people leave on your MySpace wall. They say they have given up, but they haven't. If they had truly given up there would be no comments. They wouldn't be around to even surf the web anonymously. Within them lies a bit of hope--they know if they cry out, somewhere, someone will find them and take their hand. And it is because of you, TWLOHA, that they feel that comfort that there is love if they just search hard enough. That, despite everything, there is someone willing to love them and take care of them when they really need it.

I know I won't be able to save everyone, but I want to take a hand in need, if they are willing to accept my offer. Because I have been inspired by the idea that we are here to love and be loved. And that life only gets easier if we look to help others and then help ourselves.

TWLOHA moves mountains just by inspiring others to love a little more.

I feel it only suiting now that I inform those who are unsure of TWLOHA's mission statement, which reads as follows: "To Write Love on Her Arms is a non-profit movement dedicated to presenting hope and finding help for people struggling with depression, addiction, self-injury and suicide. TWLOHA exists to encourage, inform, inspire and also to invest directly into treatment and recovery." Their vision is beautiful and moving and can be found here. Just reading it changed my life, but avidly supporting it is what has changed me forever.

I hope this means something to someone. This may not be the most eloquent post I have ever published, but I believe the movement says enough on its own. I could spend more time tonight, depriving myself of a good night's sleep, stitching together the most delicate of my vocabulary into a masterpiece of its own, but this is not about my writing ability, it is about what TWLOHA is doing and has done for thousands out there, and continues to do daily for others.

8 comments:

  1. I'm definitely a fan of what TWLOHA does. As a former depression sufferer I can first hand say how important it is to have hope, even when it means getting it from non traditional places. Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I'm so glad you support them, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of this before. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm really glad you know of them now, then.

    ReplyDelete
  5. TWLOHA really is such an amazing organization! One of my friends told me about it, and since then I've really learned how incredible it is. Your passion for it really is inspiring as well, so thank you for sharing it with this post :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. TWLOHA is definitely one of the best.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous allowed! Comments are moderated, but please don't be shy. :) HTML allowed.