Monday, April 12, 2010

A Teenage Girl In Hip-Hop America



I am a seemingly normal small-town girl, but hip-hop corrupts all young minds. It makes a girl sing. It makes a girl dance. It takes a quiet girl and turns her into something she would not typically be without the influence of a rhythmically intoxicating beat. Most people would not believe it if they have not witnessed it firsthand, but I love to dance. Granted, I am not one for clubs at all, but I love to be with my best girlfriends listening to music and dancing, or just being in my own room moving. (Preferably the latter; I am a bit of a private person, after all.)

Ever since I was younger and got a taste of the turn-of-the-millenium pop/hip-hop, it was almost imperative that I turn the music up and dance--which usually involved me shaking things Mamma probably wished she had never given me. Though the best part for her was, I made sure the door was closed so she did not have to hear me blast remixes of Mandy Moore's album, "I Wanna Be With You (Special Edition)," or watch me move around like a fool until I really got the hang of it. (Truth be told, I looked more like I was choreographing Napoleon Dynamite's dance routine in those days rather than grooving like a professional.)

With all of my friends, I am known as: clutz, spazz, retard, dork, and a numerous other degrading and not-so-graceful things, but I am okay with it. With my best friends, I am the loyal goof-ball that is serious the minute someone needs it and then acts stupid just to hear the sounds of laughter and see the smiles. I enjoy making people happy. It is no surprise even some of my closest friends might not believe I love to dance. Of course, they might believe it, but probably would not assume I have any talent.

On every street corner of America, there are girls from ages 13-19 who are moving and grooving to today's best hip-hop. They cannot help it. Their iPod could consist of nothing but Terra Naomi and Regina Spektor, and still, when "Drop It Low" by Ester Dean starts playing, they do just that. It is a complex thing being a teenager in Hip-Hop America. As teenage girls, we lead a difficult, often, secluded life: one of double-playlists and unheard of gyrations. Will the insanity ever end?

15 comments:

  1. well..they have some good taste..in music though..

    what gets me is my friends who have to dress all gangsta who shouldn't. its hard to figure them out. sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I'm definitely not referring to them haha. There's no words to describe that that won't offend someone. I'm just makijng a joke about how infectious that type of music can be and how it makes people want to dance even if they are trying to fight it. And I'm definitely including myself in the mix, that's why I mentioned myself as the prime example.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice blog. Check mine out www.dcjaxn.blogspot.com. Please comment or follow if u like.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sure, I'll check it out. I have some time tonight...

    ReplyDelete
  5. ahhh hip hop... what bothers me are the lyrics nowadays! a friend of mine just tweeted that she heard a 7 yr old say to a 20 yr old woman " i can make your bed rock" hahaha! What has this world come to?!?! ;P

    thanks for your compliments on my shirt... if you have any questions let me know! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. hahahah, that's pretty funny!

    but yeah, the lyrics can be so distasteful... but they know what sells is the beat...
    usually i'll just look up the songs on youtube or blip.fm and listen to them that way if i really feel like dancing to a song i wouldn't typically condone listening to. :P

    that way, i'm not buying what they're trying to sell! sticking it to the man!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not a teen any more, but I still love some hip hop!

    ReplyDelete
  8. DROP IT LOW! Such a good song. I am also an absolute clutz but I lovvve to dance, and I love hip-hop.. for as white as I am, when I have my beats on, I'm as gangster as they come and I could pop bottles in the club and throw some D's on that bitch, and all sorts of other degrading rapper terms. Alas, we all love this stuff, regardless of how much we try not to :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Clear the streets! Jennifer has the Hiphop disease...sigh. =)

    =) Grarl...you should come back over to Xanga. We need some good writers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Courtney: Best comment ever!!! :D I wish they had an award for that sort of thing, haha.

    JN: Haha, yeahhhh, I'm getting my groooove on. Dude, you know I hate Xanga, stop asking, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  11. =) Every single comment shall be to get you back...I'll haunt you until then.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I promise you you will never win!

    ReplyDelete
  13. i hope the insanity never ends!!!
    I LOVE TO DANCE!!!
    and i got some moves but i am in no way a dancer! thats just the beauty of hip hop!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. hahaha i know!!! i gotz movez but i ain't a pro! XD glad someone agrees with me!

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous allowed! Comments are moderated, but please don't be shy. :) HTML allowed.