Sunday, January 3, 2010

Snow in this metro? Be still my heart!



I had been waiting for it for a year: the tapping of water dripping from faucets. It had finally gotten cold enough to worry with freezing pipes. While this is not an uncommon occurrence, one must take into consideration I am significantly further south while at school, so coming home to actual winter-y weather made my heart skip a beat. Now it had dropped to a mere 19-degrees, and I was unsure of what to do with myself. However, I knew what the forecasts had planned for Thursday, January 7: snow. There is something about this time of year that warms me, though my hands may be cold to the touch.

I had lost all hope for snow. It was as if the skies were teasing me--clouded skies, but no moisture. Then it happened: sleet. The icy death-rain began stabbing the ground as if to say, "Take that, dirt!" (Which, usually, I would encourage, however thought it rather inappropriate and rude. Sleet, why must you be so mean?) The sleet finally died down, and my eyes grew wide, as, right outside my window, snow began to fall. Snow! Real snow! Or, the more-ice-less-fluff Georgians call snow.

It did not stay long, and only left small remnants of its journey tucked in corners of the yard or on the rails of the porch, but I did not mind. I was just happy to see snow. My one wish was to see snow before I had to go back to school--I know I will never see any there. This was my miracle.

Luckily for me, my joy and dancing was not held in contempt through my brother's efforts for too long. Later in the night, more snow began to fall, and this time, faster and harder than earlier in the day. The best part was it was actually sticking to the ground. As of this moment, we have an amazing white gift in our yard.

There is just something about snow that makes me so happy. Now, I can wear my super-soft pajamas and go to sleep and pray it is there when I wake up in the morning.

19 comments:

  1. Dying of envy over here. It's summer in Sydney at the moment and it is HOT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never seen snow, but I love looking at pictures...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brenda: Oh geez! Well, it'll be winter soon enough! :D

    MelRoXx: You've never seen snow? :( I'm sorry to hear that... We rarely get any, so when we do it's a party, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Snow! Don't forget to make an angel, build a fort, and have a snowball fight!
    A friend of mine in Fayetteville, GA used to make fun of me because he never got any snow, and that I got so much. Hah!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hooray snow! My town has so much snow that on Main St they didn't have anywhere to put it, so it forms a barrier between lanes of opposite traffic. It's like a fairytale here in the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jennifer: Ha, I know a few people in Fayetteville. There is a nice shopping area there that I go to to get my shampoo and conditioner and stuff. :P I have family that lives there, too. Yeah, they get even less than us!

    Michelle: I did all of that last night, haha. It's now all dangerous ice. :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. I, too, share your love for snow. I just experienced my first white Christmas ever and it was nothing short of amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ever? Wow. I'm glad you finally got to experience one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Snow in Amsterdam is beautiful. Think icicles and frozen canals. The down side is that the traffic soon churns it into a nasty grey mush. Oh yes and people keep slipping and falling over!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wish I got to see something like that... It would make my day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. cute pic ^^ it's snowing here in Milan as well!it's cold!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Milan, eh? Cool! It only snowed that one day, unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
  13. ahhh you look so happy in that photo!
    Bundle up & enjoy your weekend~
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love snow. It's so light and fluffy AND pretty! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. LENORENEVERMORE: Haha, very happy! Hope your weekend has been good!

    Emily Anne: Isn't it, though? It's a wonderful thing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just want to let you know I'm all about coming down to Georgia with you (actually want to go there for grad school) but but Rochester NY sucks! We have so much snow, I go outside and want to cry. You make it sound and look so pretty.. I am envious.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Haha, yeah, GA has a little bit of everything. I'd think you'd really enjoy it.

    Of course, a lot of people in NY that move here love to complain about GA and talk about how wonderful NY is... It's annoying...

    ReplyDelete
  18. You really do have a great blog here. I have a blog myself which brings inspiration and guidance to people all around the world. Life is hard enough, and I hope my site can contribute anything positive to someone's day.

    I'd like to exchange links with you to help spread some traffic around between each other. Please let me know if this is possible. Until then, keep up the good work.

    Jason
    TheWISDOMWALL.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. I believe we have already exchanged links before. Or, at least, I was under the impression we had...
    Thanks so much for the compliment on my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous allowed! Comments are moderated, but please don't be shy. :) HTML allowed.