Sunday, January 17, 2010

Awkward Weather

The wind rolls in, but only in the shadows do I tug at my sleeves. This far south, we see the rain, sleet, and then 60-degree weather all in one week. I politely call this time of the year the time for "awkward weather." Half of the campus is dressed from head-to-toe in their windbreakers and coats, while the other half dare to "rough it" in hardly anything of which could be considered clothing. However, some of the wiser students, plan for all contingencies. Though I have been away, I have not forgotten the typically warmer climate, thus, on a regular day, I might be wearing jeans, my Converse, a thin, long-sleeve shirt while keeping on my person at all times, a jacket suitable for bringing warmth when the wind decides to blow.

Today is one of those days where a short-sleeved shirt suffices. The air is warm, and the breeze is cool--feels like spring. It is a nice vacation from being at home with the freezing weather. While I rather enjoy winter, I could not handle year-around ice. I have walked through the campus many times just to feel the sun's warmth. It is a peaceful Sunday. A Sunday that leaves my mind in turmoil. The light outside my window brings warmth to the room and smiles to our faces. My roommate opens the blinds and welcomes the soft sun. I am still in my pajamas. The battle in my head? Do I want to enjoy a day full of leisure, or shall I go out and soak up this rather perfect day?--both a rarity, of sorts. I gladly did both.

The wind struck my skin, but not enough to burn, and putting on my jacket made me feel as though I was suddenly stricken with an early case of menopause. So, I let the weather do its worst and I enjoyed every moment of it. It is days like these I find myself enjoying life more than any other day. I do not need my camera, I do not need my music, and I do not even need the company of another. I can take a stroll on my own and be completely content. (Though, I am happy my friend joined me.) The sun was not enough to blind me, the clouds did not prepare doom on our little corner of the world, and the blue of the sky was awe-inspiring, with dazzles of pink hues here and there.

I want to be able to enjoy life more, but not just because I am looking forward to days like this one. I want to wake up, see the storm, and still know everything will be okay. I can usually achieve such a positive demeanor from day-to-day, but life happens, and the happiest person in the world is capable of falling apart. I do not want to be devoid of all real emotion, but I want happiness to be the one with which I am most acquainted. The rest of the season is bound to bring more awkward weather--good or bad. From now on, I am going to be ready.

12 comments:

  1. Hey girl. Haven't talked to you in awhile. I've been crazy busy, but just wanted to say hi. Smile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another hellishly introspective Sunday? "Awkward weather" is the perfect setting for contemplating the complexities of self.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristie: Hey, thanks for stopping by. :D Hope everything is good with you! :)

    ColeAndJosephine: I guess it is... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. at least you have some sun.... I haven't seen much sun lately!

    loves

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a thoughtful post. I'm having akward weather too. I kinda felt like a cat on its hindlegs cuz I took off my jacket. I'm glad you had a content day. We all need one of those once in a while to remind us that it will work out. I want to enjoy life more too so I completely understand what your saying! Good luck with the second week of classes!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Toothfairy: Yeah, I'm glad to see the sun here at school.

    Melanie: Thanks so much for you comment and the wishes for a good second week. :D I really hope it is, too. I'm thankful for holidays... Four-day week this week. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here's to enjoying life~ simplicity is always so beautiful! Lovely week darling Jennifer~
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. i am having some very awkward weather too!! and you described it perfectly. half and half.

    ReplyDelete
  9. LENORENEVERMORE: Same to you! :)

    Chelsea: Thanks! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's kind of awkward here, too. Warm today. Snow next week. I guess we have to make the best of whatever life hands us.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Carpe diem, seize the moment. For time has a habit of slipping away...

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous allowed! Comments are moderated, but please don't be shy. :) HTML allowed.