Thursday, December 10, 2009

A True Test of Character

(For your entertainment, I have provided a picture from my gallery as the opening shot for this entry. It has been awhile since I have actually used my own work in a post, well, outside of posts like events I attend or photoshoots. Enjoy!)



A friend said tonight, "If I could go back in time, I would change so much." It is a statement we have all thought at least once, and it weighs heavily on my friend tonight. We walked through the cold for hours. My hands were frozen and felt brittle. If I do not wake the next morning with the flu, it will be by the Grace of God. However, I did follow him without complaint.

Whenever I am with my friend, we always reminisce about the past, and in a sense, learn a bit more about each other. We remember times in high school, in middle school, and even talk about life when we were children--a time of which we did not know one another, but still find we can relate in many ways. Tonight, we wandered through the streets and around campus, circling and discovering new places. We made our way to a nearby park. The night stood at its darkest, but we could still tell where we were. That is when we saw it: the dome climber.

I am sure we all remember the dome climber! (The dome-shaped monkey bars.) It was the most amazing part of the playground as a child. I stood as tall, if not taller, than the dome climber tonight, and I remember as a child how large and mountainous I believed it to be. He sifted through current pangs while we horsed around in the 40-degree weather. And the question continued to resurface in our minds: "What would we do if we could go back?" Would life seem easier if the dome climber was the only mountain we had to face? Would we live day-to-day unscathed by the little bumps in the road? In reality, life never seems easier until we look back. When one faces an obstacle, turning away and hiding behind the idea life makes more sense "back there" feels like an acceptable solution. Unfortunately, it only sounds good until one tries it.

No matter the road a person takes, they will come face-to-face with conflict. Life without conflict is no life at all. Otherwise, everything is perfect, and once the euphoria of a perfect life dwindles, even perfect will feel dull. Whether the person is a child facing the frost-bitten metal of the dome climber, or an adult dealing with the stresses of relationships, school, or "real life," there will always be a mountain. A true test of character is how one deals with the situation in front of them. Trying to hide behind what was will only keep one back. Instead, moving past the obstacle and looking towards a better tomorrow will help the person learn from the issue at hand and give them the strength when bigger problems arise in the future.

"Moving on, is a simple thing, what it leaves behind is hard." - Dave Mustaine

13 comments:

  1. That's a very cool picture. I used to have a photography major as a roommate. I go to RIT, huge photo school. But whoa, very beautiful.

    And omg the dome climber.. wow, I played on that thing til my fingers bled.. Cold recess days.. how I would hate them now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, thanks for the comment! Yeah, we're all wimps now. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's such an amazing picture.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely blog. <3
    Love the photo, I took one similar to that this summer! So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw, thanks you both! That means a lot! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a lovely picture, it's stunning.

    "No matter the road a person takes, they will come face-to-face with conflict. Life without conflict is no life at all."

    I love that. I love life, the bitter not just the sweet. How else could we appreciate the highs if we never had the lows?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for the comment! And thanks for the compliment on the picture! :D It means a lot! Photography is a passion, after all, haha. I love feedback.

    And yeah, you are EXACTLY right! We cannot always appreciate the highs if we do not experience lows. :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a great picture!

    and life without conflicts, means no learning, no change, and you can't live life like that. You need the conflicts to learn and evole, so that you can be a better person after that!

    loves

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the comment! :)

    Sometimes, I like a little conflict in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i totally agree with you... its not really the situation that matters but how you HANDLE the situation right!? :) thanks for dropping by.. do you get anxious even its people you know/are close with?!?! ;P

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haha, yeah I get nervous all the time! Thanks for YOUR comment. :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wish that monkey bar dome was the only mountain I ever had to climb! And I love walking around and talking all night. Those are great memories to have and share with someone.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks so much for the comment! And yeah, I love making memories with this particular friend. He's been a good bud to have since I've been off at school. :)

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous allowed! Comments are moderated, but please don't be shy. :) HTML allowed.