Tuesday, December 22, 2009

The Office Changes the Face of Mediocrity


Photo Source

While it may not be something one should admit, I am willing to say, if my dreams of writing for a newspaper, magazine, or at least becoming an online journalist do not happen for me, I would not mind a mediocre office job. (But if I have to work in a cubicle, hopefully it will not mean my chances of writing professionally are at an end.) This feeling of optimism stems from watching people around me fall to their knees before mediocrity and spend too much time being depressed. "Average" is something of which people do not typically aspire. Many want a better, comfortable life, and some drown in pity and liquor for never getting as far as they once believed possible. Life has its pitfalls, and I understand I would not always be happy with where I am. However, one thing is for certain: I am an easy-to-please kind of gal--always have been. Though I may not always say much to prove it, in my mind, I am at peace. I may not always prefer change, but I find happiness where I am somehow. I am in control of my future. If I truly cannot find my niche in one place, looking somewhere else is always an option.

One of my favorite shows is The Office. I can sit and watch several episodes in a row and laugh hysterically at the idiotic things the magic duo, Michael (Steve Carell) and Dwight (Rainn Wilson) say and do. A mediocre office job seems to be acceptable in Scranton and entertaining at that. This is not to say I will be moving to Scranton to work as a secretary or something of the like. However, I would not mind working in a very similar place to Dunder Mifflin, even if just for a small time in my life. I would sit, much like Pam (Jenna Fisher), or maybe another character who is not a front desk girl, and soak up the situational comedy before me. Having a boss like Michael and a 9-to-5 job where I see him everyday would be a nice routine.


Photo Source

I think I could make it working in an office. After all, I am accustomed to sitting at a desk on the computer or writing. For two years, the newsroom was my home. A place I went to five times a week to see the same faces and sit in the same seat and work. Even if the threat of deadlines made the air thin, there was still enough humor and ridiculous behavior to help reporters get through the day. And though times could get tense, overall, the atmosphere was relaxed. It is because of the student newsroom I found myself falling in love with journalism. There are similarities between my experience there and what is shown in The Office. Characters in the show remind me of characters I have worked alongside. For me, The Office shows a group of people who live the average life, but are comfortable. Success is on the minds of everyone, but until they get there, they are making the most of what they have. All too often, I see people who live an average life spit on what they have, break their backs to overcompensate for what they do not, and call their life "mediocre" knowing it holds a stronger negative connotation than that of the word "average." Despite some of the characters in the show actually being incapable of getting anywhere (ha), there is still a lesson to be learned: sometimes mediocrity can be a good thing--a comfortable thing.

Who actually wants to be uncomfortable?

10 comments:

  1. ok, being honest, I could never work an office job! never. I would totally fall asleep and feel bored. :S

    loves

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha yeah, i just am easily entertained, though. like ridiculously so, hahaha. you can give me caffeine and I'll be your favorite hyper friend, hahaa. it takes A LOT to get me bored. so... i'm sure wouldn't mind. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must be the only one on the planet who doesn't watch this show, lol.

    Happy Holidays, Jennifer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha, I'm thinking you might be right! :P I've always wanted to watch the original British version, but I never got around to it. I love British humor, though, so I know I'll enjoy it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree with you on this. Even I can do a bit of office job. But writing remains my priority. I want to write for some newspaper too! In fact, I am already searching for an opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's cool. I hope you get your chance. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. My husband and I love The Office too! We own the box sets and it's even on our queue on Netflix. My favorite episode of The Office is A Benihana Christmas. The one where he marks that girls arm. Hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG! I love that one, hahahahaha!!!
    I can't believe you have the box sets! We must become friends now so we can share, haha. :P

    That's awesome, though.
    I would love the box sets.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Im not a fan of the american office, I prefer the British one, original is best!

    http://dont4geturblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ha, I love The Office. I would love to see the British version, but I have yet to sit down and do so. I love British humor, and it's obviously a hit so I'm sure I'd like it.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous allowed! Comments are moderated, but please don't be shy. :) HTML allowed.