Friday, December 18, 2009

Games Were Harder Back Then


Photo Source

When I was younger, I got "Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening" for the Nintendo Game Boy. Back then, it could barely hold my attention, not for lack of it being a fun game, but due to the fact I could not make it through the Mysterious Woods next to Mabe Village. Pathetic? Well, I could say it was because I was young and not as accustomed to RPG games as I am now, but I find it to be an inaccurate reasoning.

The truth: in most cases, games were just harder back then than they are now.

I have a month-long break for the winter holidays and this week was my first full week being home from college. Today (Friday, December 18), was the first day I had nothing to do and I was basking in the laziness for all it was worth. It was then I discovered my Game Boy Advance SP sitting in my room, and after searching through my game case, discovered the quaint addition to "The Legend of Zelda." It had been awhile since I saw the start screen--I had even forgotten the plot of this game. With a bit of withheld excitement (as to not startle my father), I erased my old game data and began anew.


Photo Source

I felt like Buddy the elf traveling through the seven layers of the Candy Cane Forest--a destination ahead, excitement in my belly. Everything was foreign and fun. I made it all the way to the Bottle Grotto and found myself stuck. This, my friends, was worse than any writer's block, mathematical suicide-inducing problem, or knot in my iPod headphones' chord I have ever encountered. I sat reeling over how to find one last key. Finally, I turned to Google. Oh, Google! How many have trusted ye with their ventures to other realms! Tonight, I laid my trust in one walkthrough from Gamefaq. It was well-written, compared to the other amateur walkthroughs and considering all I really needed it for was that last key and a very frustrating boss later, I was very pleased with it.

I could not help but chuckle at the idea I was looking up a walkthrough for a Game Boy game, of all things! Who would have thought, the girl who has beat both "Kingdom Hearts" games, all other Zelda games, most Mario games, most Sonic games, and any other "cute" RPG's of the like, could barely get through this one? But I had fun reacquainting myself with the game, and I suggest others do the same. If my GBA SP was not flashing me the deathly red glare, I would keep playing late into the night.

Games from back in the day are more frustrating, but are more fun! They involve real strategy (not to say some of the other aforementioned do not) and make you actually feel accomplished when you finish off one measly boss. I cannot wait to find my charger!

I would also like to give a couple of shoutouts to a few links I found that impressed me the most:
1. Zelda's Dungeon - One of the coolest Legend of Zelda sites there are!
2. Link's Awakening Map - This is an interactive map I found, and thought it was definitely worth mentioning!

11 comments:

  1. You have won my heart. Zelda games are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Life's like that. Sometimes you get stuck in the Mysterious Woods...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool as Folk: Yay! :D Glad to have that in common!

    Profoundly Superficial: You are absolutely right. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah... playing Assassin's Creed 2 last night was cool, but it's just not the same as a classic side scroller or RPG!
    Still obsessed with Fire Emblem! <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fire Emblem! Ahhh.... I haven't played that in the longest time! <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think older games were easier compared to todays! My all time favorite is Legend of Zelda Ocarina of time for N64.

    I love video games in general, but I never had a gameboy =(

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love zelda... one of the 2 games I've finished on nds. I haven't started on the new game yet though!

    and btw.. zelda is hard though!

    loves

    ReplyDelete
  8. eQ: Some were, yeah... If you go as far back as like the NES, there are some seriously easy ones out there... But Zelda makes my head spin, haha. You should get a Game Boy--you can get 'em real cheap these days. :)

    Toothfairy: I know Zelda is hard!!! Hahaha! The game in this post is still driving me mad! I'm in the LAST FREAKIN DUNGEON/CAVE/TUNNEL/THING and I can't find the stupid key so I can unlock the stupid door and just beat this stupid game, ugh! Haha. But I love it so much! :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. man oh man i remember zelda! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You play KH??? This has made my day 10X better :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kingdom Hearts is awesome! <3 My boyfriend bought me a Keyblade necklace for Valentine's Day and I never take it off. :D

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous allowed! Comments are moderated, but please don't be shy. :) HTML allowed.