Sunday, June 7, 2009

No One Cares About Your Blog



After reading an article on blog failures, I found myself reminded of the saying that has been printed a thousand times on notebooks, bumper stickers, and even those cheap shirts sold at Wal-Mart, "No one cares about your blog." Once one enters the blogosphere and gets acquainted with many networking communities, it would seem as though cyberspace is full of several prospering online journals. The reality: with as many blog-savvy people on the internet, only a small portion is successful.

I stopped caring about blogs close to a year ago, but I continue to post my thoughts. Writing on my off-time helps me tone this viable skill, and it allows me to speak out when the world is frustrating or inspiring.

It is nice to get feedback and comments on my blog, but I do not expect it. The article mentioned that many assumed by blogging they would receive lots of feedback and would make it big as a wealthy online connoisseur without ever having to leave the comfort of their home. Does this not seem to reflect on another idea of humanity? People are lazy! They can fritter and Twitter their whole life away and the minute it does not come easy for them or they do not receive several pats on the back for their work, they get bored and drop it before it can ever become a real interest. News flash: it is just a blog!

If the Associated Press or Tosh.0 decided to reference a blog, I could understand the reasoning behind being proud of the entries posted. However, with as many of the earth's population currently connected online, the likelihood that someone is going to stumble across a blog, or any website for that matter, when the creator has put no real time or effort into advertising their ambitions, is very slim.

I thought it was odd that one of the blogs referenced in the article was actually on a free basic account with Tripod. You have to spend money to make money. If a person wants their blog to get noticed at all--because people do not care about true inspiration anymore, they only care about what makes a good product--they have to buy a premium account and make the blog look interesting so it will attract a real audience. But, who am I kidding? Do what feels right! If blogging seems easy, go ahead and try. Just remember: no one really cares about your blog.

13 comments:

  1. Hihi. Do you like me entry, mate?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice article, it speaks a lot of truth, you know???

    I have to say, I am a lazy blogger, but I never thought you could make money just blogging. That's funny! Maybe I won't be so lazy after all!

    HAHAHAHAH. Jay-kay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, if it makes you fell any better, I like your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I consider most blogs online journals, a way to set free all those thoughts swirling around in your head, into the virtual wilderness. If someone stumbles upon them and like them all the better. If not, no biggie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Priceless! Thx for the email today, too =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha you're welcome! Thanks for following! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. But then if one regards the blog as electronic journal and storage of random thoughts, he experiences no loss or disillusionment if no one reads it.

    I'm my own most avid reader. Is that warped?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Where's the rest of this article? Where's the guidance and / or suggestions? Or do you just like to rip people?

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's sad to see that you would go to such an OLD blog entry, and miss my slight point in all of this, and then get frustrated with me as if I have cheated you. No one asked you to dig so far and then comment anonymously.

    This was in no way a guidance blog post. Did you just see the title and decide that it HAD to be that? It seems to me you have a hard time grasping my final point here, which was stated quite blatantly in the post: it is just a blog.

    This entry was clearly my opinion on the article I had read. Not about how to make people care. That article itself was more in that direction than this. This entry is just the first few expanded thoughts that came to mind as I read what others had to say about their blog failures.

    Quite often, blog posts are cathartic, as was this. I just had some ideas and I had a place to write them. If you would actually go to my newest entries you would find more clear and concise points made in my entries, stretching from over the past year. I have a more clear direction with my posts and what I use my writing and photography for: figuring out life and learning from my experiences.

    But this was one of my first entries (or rather entries within my first year of developing this blog) so some of my entries might be more rant-like or less thought out because I had to figure out exactly what I wanted for this blog. I was a high school student at the time and still trying to figure out what I wanted even for my writing.

    But honestly, why would you go to any blog and expect so much? It is a blog. Not a novel, not a journalistic article; all blog entries, as a general rule--unless the person is a clear freelance REPORTER (not writer), are editorial, crass and uncensored.

    It is quite possible you are confusing blogs with something more serious, and that is fine if you so wish, but if you are going to comment with such disappointment and yet hide behind anonymity, it makes me question what insecurity in your work you could be trying to mask. Because honestly, what person outside of the blogging universe would care to look at an entry or article in relation to blogs and then comment on its--inadequately named--uselessness?

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous allowed! Comments are moderated, but please don't be shy. :) HTML allowed.