Saturday, June 13, 2009

Another Family Outing




The Gleasons set out for yet another little outing. This time our destination was sure to not be disturbed by roadside superstores. After the gathering of necessary folding chairs and fishing equipment, we set forth to Indian Springs State Park. I was happy to escape the house, as a family, and drive far from the entrapment of my room. And seeing the mural in the square that had crumbled Thursday gave me more reason to leave.


(Source: Lee Cox, Henry County Times.)

I have always loved that mural. Granted, the painting is not that old, it has still been in this town almost as long as I have. You grow attached. I guess part of me hoped when we arrived back home, it would be fixed. At least I was able to get some pictures with the mural last year with my modeling friend Kayla.



The whole ride I set my iPod to my British playlist and my mind was soothed by the sounds of The Arcade Fire. I needed some sort of distraction. I watched Army Wives for the first time this morning and was in a sentimental mood. I needed the jagged rhythm of each song to rip me out of that state. We crossed over the interstate and drove for close to 30 minutes, and the kid in me sighed with relief. We were there.

There are a lot of similarities between Jackson and McDonough with one exception: McDonough does not have a Piggly Wiggly to my knowledge. I guess we are too big-city for one.

My dad, stepmother, and brother spent an hour fishing, which I opted out of knowing that no fish would be biting--my family conveniently did not hear every person with rod and reel in hand complaining by the bank. But I am not a picky person; relaxing by the lake with the cool breeze was fine by me. Catching nothing, my family gave up and with no gracious luck left, we drove around looking for an unreserved pavilion, finally hitting the road.

We drove to a local barbecue place called Fresh Air Barbecue and waited for more family to arrive. Their sweet tea was superb! With a restaurant that prides itself on its quaint country atmosphere, the sweet tea can usually say a lot about the actual quality of food. And "quaint" may be the nicest thing to say about the overall structure of this old building that has been standing since 1929. But I love going to places like Fresh Air Barbecue. It is timeless. Thanks to the kind servers with true southern hospitality I was thoroughly satisfied. The sauce available for their meat was a little vinegary, but I thought it was filling.

State parks are not always that spectacular. Indian Springs is okay. The main thing is that we were outside in the fresh air and making the most of our Saturday spending time with one another.


7 comments:

  1. I love the pictures. I never have been to that part of the world. I hope you guys had fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been good. Are you excited about college? College can be a great experience, or it can be years and years of wasted time and money. I made a great experience out of my college years, going to Harvard and getting my MBA and everything. Heh heh, just joking, I went to Arizona State. I did meet my wife at college though, 12 years and 3 and 3/4's kids later we are still happy and married. I was ASU's quarterback and she was a cheerleader (again, another lame joke).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lucky! Fresh Air is my favorite barbeque place. I have spent a lot of time not catching fish at Indian Springs as well. We used to camp there a lot when I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the photos and the story. Thank you for visiting Sasha.

    Anne and Sasha

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have excellent form in writing and I found your posts interesting. The town I live in is very much changed from how it was when I was a child. In particular, the areas of town that hold the most memories and in my opinion made the town unique and special were the old churches, the local Piggly Wiggly, and the surrounding neighborhoods. Now many of those same builidings, homes, and businesses are being abandoned and bought out by the town to be transformed into modern cultural facilities--ironic since it took taking out historic and cultural building to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the comment! As far as I can tell, McDonough is luckily not changing much.

    I hope it stays that way.

    We are like Stars Hollow, almost--without the town meetings, of course.

    I am hoping that when I come back from school things will be the same cheesy way they always have been. :)

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous allowed! Comments are moderated, but please don't be shy. :) HTML allowed.